1966 GTO Frame/body flex when on 2 post lift, anyone else? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1966 GTO Frame/body flex when on 2 post lift, anyone else?

I have been trying to figure out what is going on with some frame/body flex when I put my car on the lift. So I have a 2 post lift and position the arms under the frame behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels when I need to lift the car and do any work under it. The problem I have is that when the car is lifted from these points the front clip starts to sag downwards and the fender/door gap gets small at the bottom and big at the top, at least 1/4", thus indicating the frame is flexing/bending right under the firewall. The body and front clip sheetmetal have all new bodymounts and they are all tight, I have double checked every one. I am doing a resto on the car and do not want to have this issue once everything is painted and put together. Does anyone else see this happen with their car?

Last edited by BeardBros; 08-26-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Not with a hardtop or coupe. With a convertible, I get gaps at the rear of the doors to the quarter panel....totally normal. I leave the doors closed when it's up in the air. You may have frame issues.....internal rust/thin metal. These cars flex some when lifted, but yours sounds a bit extreme.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have not seen this on my 2-post Bendpak lift. Over the 7 years or so that I have owned it, I have had many Chevelles, pickups, Tri-5's and my Goat on it, and have not seen the kind of flex you describe. I would have to be suspicious that there is some frame irregularity that is allowing the whole front clip to drop away from the firewall. Scary! Definitely check the frame rails where they curve in from under the doors to the engine compartment. That area beneath the cowl is a common spot for accumulation of dirt that holds moisture and causes the chassis to rot from the inside. I hope you do not find that!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice on this. I am about to separate the body from the frame for a restoration. I will be able to get to the bottom of this soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in