1966 Lemans - Wont Start - Help! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 Lemans - Wont Start - Help!

I hope somebody here can help me cause im in a jam. I sold my Lemans on Ebay and I had to take it out on a short drive. The car was running and driving perfectly. I park it and go into the store, come back out go to start it but when I turned the key over nothing happened not even a click. I get a jump start and it fires right up, sounds great, but I put it in gear and it immediately dies. I jump it again and same story. So I go get a new battery and it does the same thing. I try a couple more times and then it wouldn't even start at all. Engine turns over, fires and then dies. Hooked up to timing light and it is getting spark and it appears to be getting fuel.

Im I don't know a ton about cars but I do have a good set of tools and a multimeter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Shipper was supposed to get it today. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

The lemans has a 389 a 2 spd powerglide, msd ignition.

Also a couple weeks ago when I went to start it nothing happened when I turned the key but it turned it like 15 times and then it started right up and ran fine.

I replaced the spark plugs and the alternator (it was going out)
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Well it is definitely electrical, since you just changed alternator is the belt tight and the connections correct and tight.

I say this because your symptoms go along many lines, here is one. Car drives to store but battery is not charging, car is running on battery power only. Once you get out and back in battery now dead and weak, so you jump it, that would work as battery now provides a punch of power....it fires and runs for a few minutes, but when you put it in drive and add more load.....it dies.

So that could fit, hook multimeter to rear of alternator and see what it is putting out.....14.2 would be good....slipping belt, bad alternator are possibilities if not.

Does it have an external voltage regulator? On the firewall? That must be good and hooked up as well

Also a shorting neutral safety switch, or high resistance in starter wire, or even a loose or corroded battery ground...all need to be clean and tight

Look for bad or corroded battery connections or ground...check alaternator output and see where you get

You will get it!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
When you jumped it did you connect the neg to the battery? Or the engine?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
You have had an on-going problem with your electrical system. Spark plugs and alternator have nothing to do with an intermittent dead ign switch. That is a wiring issue. Since you are now out of time, you can either refund the buyer some money to get it fixed, or have an electrical shop fix it in a hurry, on your dime. I'm not trying to be punishing here, but this issue should have either been fixed or disclosed before the ebay sale. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Lemans Guy for the suggestions I'm going to check the voltage the alternator is putting out!

geeteeohguy the buyer has been notified of the problem and still wants the car once it's fixed
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
When you jumped it did you connect the neg to the battery? Or the engine?
It was connected to the battery
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Having a DMM and knowing how to use it are two different animals.
You ask for help and then tell the guy that can tell you what your problem is to STFU.
Stay classy Mr. Threepostndun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in