1966 Pontiac + Texting and Driving - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 Pontiac + Texting and Driving

So I take her for a drive to a nearby leather shop for an estimate on a tear in the seat. A public transit bus is stopped 2 cars ahead of me for about 6 seconds, picking up passengers. All of a sudden an 80s Silverado hits a Corolla behind me going about 40, slams into me and I move a few feet and hurt bonnies nose bumping a Kia.

My left exhaust hanger got smashed off. Need a new rear bumper. Bodywork. Trim bent. Left rear fender is wavy now. Trunk seal is no longer congruent on both sides. Tail light trim damage (try finding another one of those in good shape for a Bonneville! )

The driver claimed she sneezed. Bull****. We were stopped for so long I was messing around with the GPS when it happened. She was texting and driving, HER FRIENDS truck. Not a scratch on it. The guy who owns the Corolla is celebrating his birthday today. I am a broke college kid working 6 days a week to afford more restoration, such as the seat repair I intended on doing today.

This is why you don't text and drive. I'm gonna see if I can get the police to check her phone records to show her texting at the time of the accident.

I can't afford to fix this if insurance doesn't.

Last edited by KingJacobo; 07-06-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jackanapes
The broke Bonny blues...

Have you contacted insurance yet? As long as there is no injury the texting issue is moot as long as there is sufficient coverage from the driver at fault. I take it you don't have full coverage on your car?? Also be prepared with recipts and all work done on the bony so they don't low ball the value and try to total it. Also make sure the car looks spotless as that also goes to value along with any preexisting damage.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Sorry to hear the bad new. YES, ABSOLUTELY make the police follow up on the phone records. You are probably right on the money with that theory. Either way, it's her fault, and even though yours is an old car, it needs to be placed in "pre-accident condition"...YOU didn't customize your car by crash...she did. Get estimates, and get your rightful dues!! BTDT, and persistance and a cool head pays off. Don't get angry with the insurance company, etc, just quietly insist that it be made right. Good luck.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Bummer! As a motorcyclist I feel your pain and almost die daily due to texting and idiocy in general...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

The local MAACO owner is a great acquaintance of mine, they did my paintjob (which actually is a lot better than I was expecting, with all the maaco stigma). I figure they value my car (since its not a GTO) at $2000-3000, so I will ask to get the closest estimate under the amount before the insurance "totals" the car out. If I still need more for repairs, which I probably will since I don't feel comfortable doing bodywork on the new paintjob (and not much time this summer anyway) I'll pay the rest out of pocket.

I finally am working again and was looking forward to new rubberstripping and fixing the seat. Looks like my money is going to fix someone elses bad decision.

PS sound like gov. much lately?

-One unhappy camper
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
That's why collector's insurance is so good...it's cheap, and it's stated/appraised value, not "blue book" value. When I totalled my restored, tripower 4 speed '66 GTO in 1980 the insurance company totalled the car....it was valued at $1200. I bought it back and it was back on the road 2 years later. Your car looks to be worth much more than 2-3k....more like twice that, easily.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i see people texting and using cell phones all day long. they dont even try to hide what they are doing, like its legal. and i never see any cops giving a s**t about it when they see a motorist using a cell phone while driving. sseems like young teenagers are the worst. they just cant help themselves.sorry about your pontiac. id be heartbroken...rickm.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Here in Ontario, Canada, it is against the law to be on your cell while driving, even at a red light. The exception is having a bluetooth unit. $150 fine and points, I believe. I don't own a cell, so I am extremely bent (maybe I'm biased) when I see some clueles airhead yakking/texting away as thy drive. If I ever get whacked by one of these knuckleheads, whether it's in my Mustang, or worse, the GTO (once on the road), I will blow a gasket. You have my sympathies, KingJacobo.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your Bonne. Be gald you and your girl walked away, though. I was just out with the family a couple of weeks ago driving on I80 in Pa. when the car in front of us drifted over into the left lane and almost hit a car that was passing it. When we passed that same car there was a young girl texting away totally oblivious to everything around her.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Geico (her insurance) hasn't called back. I'm calling tomorrow before work.

Officer at the scene said they can't check phone records since nobody was hurt. I'm 20 years old and ALL I do during the summer is work, work on my car and work out (anyone notice the trend?). I look forward the entire year to these few short months away from the stresses of college to work on my baby since I have no tools at my apartment.

I honestly would rather have broken a dozen bones than have any damage to Bonnie. There isn't even any good to come out of this like most learning experiences in life. Oh, don't text and drive. But we already knew that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in