1967 400engine question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1967 400engine question

I came home today to decided to pull all the tune up parts. I decided to put new plugs and compression check I have the old plugs out for review. Here is the bad news The compression runs 140 to 150 psi on all cylinders, except for #1 cylinder. That one is 60 psi. I have re-ran the check a couple of times to see if it was my tool. I think the reading is accurate. The spark plug does not show any indications of oil fouling.
No external air noise. No exhaust gas in the radiator. No over heating. No water or oil leakage. #3 cylinder pressure is 140+ like the rest of the engine. This would lead me that the head gasket is holding. If the rings were bad, then there would be oil fouling on the plug. The plugs are fairly even with color. Usually plugs tell the health of the engine, but my plugs are more fuel wet as I don't drive it long enough to heat them up. So, the plugs looked like I expected them. The rings let some blow by but is even across all eight cylinders. The next guess would be lose rocker and I don't think so, as valve train noise seems normal.

My guess is the exhaust valve. This seems to fit the symptoms. The engine was not built to run on unleaded fuel and it has been running on unleaded since the 70's.
please any nadvice would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be that the intake valve is not opening properly, thus not filling the cylinder properly. This could be a loose or broke rocker, bad lifter, or cam lobe going flat.

When I broke an exhaust rocker, it would cough and pop back thru the carb, cause the exhaust had no place else to go. But with an intake not opening correctly, it would not have this symptom.

Hey, it's just an idea. I'm not a diagnostic expert.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks

Thank you for the thoughts/idea, just one more piece of fun

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
My guess is a burnt exhaust valve, too. My '67 GTO burnt an exhaust valve on #1 in 1988. You can do a leak down test to verify, or if you have true dual exhaust without a crossover, you can go back to the tailpipe and listen to it pop and miss out of that bank. A leakdown test will tell the story, though. Good luck, and tell us what you find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in