1967 GTO as first car? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1967 GTO as first car?

Hi I was wondering if a 1967 GTO would be a good first car. I am currently 15, in Canada, and I plan to have a classic as my first car, and have it by 17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Why not?

Sure, if you can afford it!

My first car was my 1966 GTO! Now, that was in 1972 when you could buy one for a lot less money and they were much more readily available.

A first-generation GTO is easy to work on, if you want to learn or have someone that can teach you.

Also, you will be building value on a car that should appreciate in value, if you do it right.

Check out the photos in my Garage.

Just curious, why have you picked a 67?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I find my GTO costs me very little, as maintenance is cheap and the car is reliable. That is, until the clutch went out and I discovered all the rust! The car doesn't lose value like newer cars do and they are easy to work on. Parts are getting better to find, but they aren't usually sitting on the shelf at the auto parts store anymore either.

That said...

I think wanting a GTO as a first car is great. But reality says you are probably going to wreck your first car. So save a GTO, get a Lemans!!! And be careful.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
This is going to sound discouraging, but I would not get the GTO as your first car only because you will have a learning curve when it comes to driving. You will meet many different situations that will require experience & skill in order to handle them. The GTO has a lot of horsepower and more importantly, a lot of torque. It does not take long to get into trouble whether you mis-handle the power or something as simple as ice puts you into a tree. The level of horsepower & torque a good 400CI has needs to be respected. Yep, it'll be fun to drive and you will be tempted, and will do, burn-outs and wide open blasts down the road, not to mention take on the inevitable street race challenge.

I as a young guy, loved (and still do) the HP & torque a good 400CI has to offer. Owned several GTO's and other fast cars when I was in my early 20's. Yep, I smoked tires, went fast, street raced, and had fun.........but that was after I had learned to drive with vehicles having less power that could still burn rubber and race a car or two. The difference was that I still had fun with these cars (yep, a 4-cylinder 1971 Pinto will chirp second gear! -sorry Dad LOL) but the horsepower & torque was not enough to get the car criss-crossed sideways or throw me off the road. You can drive fast in any car and get tickets in them too. My first car that I purchased at 16 was a 20 year old 1956 Pontiac and I learned to do burnouts and smoke tires (up a steep hill from a right hand turn, was really cool! LOL), race, put the car into the air over a well known local "bump", and it was the car I learned to work on. 195 HP was still enough to get me into trouble and have fun, but not kill myself - except when those crappy old drum brakes went into brake fade and would not stop the car and I saw my life flash before my eyes hoping I did not hit anything. The first time scares the hell out of you and requires a change of underwear. The second time make you question your mortality. There is no third time after that because the thoughts of a crash or bodily injury prevents you from pushing it to those limits anymore. LOL

Know that most any old car you get will need more maintenance, both regular and the usual wear-out parts, than any newer car. Todays cars last way longer and generally require less maintenance. They are also safer! If you have to pay someone to work on your old car, then it will cost a lot of money more often. If you break parts, it not only costs money, but the time it will take to find some of the replacements parts and the wait as your car is out of commission. You can't just go down to your local car parts store and get what you need -that's if the parts counter person even knows what a Pontiac is.

If you are looking to learn how to turn wrenches on your car, I suggest taking a local mechanics course at a local trade school to better prepare yourself on working on your car. There is much too know and trial & error learning can be expensive. It used to be you could screw-up doing something on a car and run down to the local salvage yard and get your replacement part for cheap. Not anymore. You break something and it can become very costly because you did not know the ins and outs of what you are doing. I learned the trial and error way, but salvage yards had the replacement parts when I broke something trying to figure how and the heck this "thing" comes off. LOL So keep this in mind if you think you want to turn wrenches on your own car - there is a lot of learning and a lot of reading.

Now if the car was what we call a "toy" then the '67 would be a good choice. By "toy" I mean a weekend car or one that is driven once in awhile, not every day. If it breaks, you can park it and fix it when you get the chance as you have a daily car to drive every day. As a daily driver, consider the costs of gasoline to feed the car. The GTO will get about 16-18 MPG on average and if you stomp on it, way less. As a young guy, you want a car that gets 30 MPG or more or you will be working a job just to put gas in your car and pay your car insurance. So gas mileage should be of concern when the car becomes a daily driver. I have done this with a car that got 8-10 MPG and was the only car I had. About 1/4 of my paycheck, and sometimes more, went to put gas into my car. That would have been ok if I was still living at home with my parents, but I had my own home and a family and that car took a lot of money out of the household budget. Finally got a 1973 Mercury Capri V6 4-speed car and the gas mileage I got made it seem like I got a raise in my paycheck. LOL So a GTO, or most Pontiac engines, are not gas misers by any means.

So, there you have it. As a first car, I say no. As a future car, I say hell yes! LOL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
My first car was a tripower 4 speed '66 GTO. I wrecked it at age 19, after a year and a half of ownership. My fault. BUT, the car got rebuilt, and I've had GTO's ever since.....that was almost 40 years ago. Haven't wrecked another one. An early GTO is a simple, dependable, easy-to-work-on car. Totally do-able as a first ride. But be careful. They can get out of shape in the blink of an eye and go into a pole or through a fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in