Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1967 GTO Headlight alignment

My 67 Pontiac GTO that has four headlights, two for low beam and two
for high beam. I am trying to align all four to the original factory
specifications. What are the specs?

I know the procedure for aligning the lights and know that I need to park
the car "X" number of feet from a wall and mark a reference point on the
wall "X" number of inches from the floor. I need the measurements that will
give me the correct reference point. I need to know the factory value for "X".

Most people do not know the answer to this question and usually say to
direct the beams to "whatever looks right". I would like to be more precise than that. I know Pontiac had to engineer an exact specification, although finding the info seems to be impossible. I tried reaching out to Pontiac and they could't provide the info either.

Also, I would like to find a brighter bulb. The originals suck at best. I read an article on this site called "Shed Some Light...Headlight upgrades for muscle cars" by some guy named Craig who mentions a KIT called "H4 retrofit kit".
Does anyone know about the kit and have any comments about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is my Goat Cart too old for this forum?
Does anyone have info on the alignment gadget that was used by the factory back in 1967. What was it called?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Most body shops should have the tool to align the head lights. I remember my dad had tools that suction cupped to the lights, had mirrors and bubble levelers in them then you would adjust to align the lines in the mirrors.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm47172 View Post
My 67 Pontiac GTO that has four headlights, two for low beam and two
for high beam. I am trying to align all four to the original factory
specifications. What are the specs?

I know the procedure for aligning the lights and know that I need to park
the car "X" number of feet from a wall and mark a reference point on the
wall "X" number of inches from the floor. I need the measurements that will
give me the correct reference point. I need to know the factory value for "X".

Most people do not know the answer to this question and usually say to
direct the beams to "whatever looks right". I would like to be more precise than that. I know Pontiac had to engineer an exact specification, although finding the info seems to be impossible. I tried reaching out to Pontiac and they could't provide the info either.

Also, I would like to find a brighter bulb. The originals suck at best. I read an article on this site called "Shed Some Light...Headlight upgrades for muscle cars" by some guy named Craig who mentions a KIT called "H4 retrofit kit".
Does anyone know about the kit and have any comments about it.
In the 67 Pontiac Service Manual page 12-22 is a diagram fig. 12-20 that has measurements and instructions to aim both lights. First thing needed is a level spot 25ft from a wall to aim on. It is too complicated to try and explain without a picture. I eventually parked in my garage and swaged it. Worked pretty good for me. You can take another vehicle and park in the same spot to give you a starting point.
Good luck, Bob
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
When all 4 head lights are on, you can unplug the low beams so you can better see where the high beams are pointed.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

1967 GTO Headlight alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY67GTO View Post
In the 67 Pontiac Service Manual page 12-22 is a diagram fig. 12-20 that has measurements and instructions to aim both lights. First thing needed is a level spot 25ft from a wall to aim on. It is too complicated to try and explain without a picture. I eventually parked in my garage and swaged it. Worked pretty good for me. You can take another vehicle and park in the same spot to give you a starting point.
Good luck, Bob
Can anyone post the "67 Pontiac Service Manual page 12-22 is a diagram fig. 12-20"? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Can anyone post the "67 Pontiac Service Manual page 12-22 is a diagram fig. 12-20"? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Check out the Ames online catalog for shop manuals for your '67. They have them on CD. You need this for your car. It will give you much needed info.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I checked out Ames. They have a bunch of different manuals although I do not see one titled "Service Manual" like the one mentioned in "MY67GTO's" earlier post so I'm not sure their manuals contain the diagram that I'm looking for. I really don't need an entire manual. Just need the correct diagram/specs for getting lights aligned as good as they were when it came from the factory.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I checked out Ames. They have a bunch of different manuals although I do not see one titled "Service Manual" like the one mentioned in "MY67GTO's" earlier post so I'm not sure their manuals contain the diagram that I'm looking for. I really don't need an entire manual. Just need the correct diagram/specs for getting lights aligned as good as they were when it came from the factory.
Why not just take it to a garage/dealership/auto service that does vehicle inspections? Many of these used to align headlights and probably still do.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Why not just take it to a garage/dealership/auto service that does vehicle inspections? Many of these used to align headlights and probably still do.
That's a possibility. I may check around to see if the dealer has the knowledge and expertise to do this right although they are probably very expensive. I generally like to do my own maintenance/repair work. I built my car from the ground up. I kinda don't want anyone to touch it except myself. I guess I will call Ames and have them confirm their manual on CD has the right diagrams/specs before I make a purchase. I just hate to spend the money. My wife takes my paycheck before I get to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in