Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gainesville, VA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It just so happens that I did this exact repair today. Well, at least I replaced the motor mounts in my 68 - I did it for a different reason, but the new mounts does seem to have it sitting up a little higher.
I decided to replace my mounts because 1) I noticed that when working the throttle under the hood, the entire engine moved quite a bit - too much, and 2) I was pulling the headers to replace with RA Manifolds so I'd have plenty of room to work.
Changing the mounts was kind of a pain, even with all the extra space. Interestingly, it was the RH side (passenger) that was more difficult. No matter how I raised or lowered the engine in tiny increments, the RH side wouldn't line up perfectly. I ended up using a small pry bar to move the mount just a tiny bit enough to get the bottom bolt through - the one that goes to the frame mount. Also - I couldn't get the torque wrench in on the front facing engine bolt. I'm hoping my internal torque sensor was close. :-)
To the point - this took a couple hours...4 or 5 if you count getting the old headers off. That's with jack stands, on my back in the garage. And the result is probably what will help your issue, at least somewhat. If your old mounts are really spent, may help a good bit.