1968 GTO: Fuel Tank Leak - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1968 GTO: Fuel Tank Leak

Hello, We have a 68 GTO and noticed a slow leak that's just started on the gas tank. We don't drive it, so to put in gas, we usually add a couple gallons now and then with a 2 gallon gas can. We have done this a few times this summer and the tank is probably the fullest it has been since possibly 1974, the last time we had it licensed. Apparently, the reason why it just started leaking. Anyway, it appears the leak is right at the location on the back where the fill tube connects to the tank. I think I can see a very small hole on the tank itself just to the left of where the fill tube hooks in. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to fix a gas tank leak from the outside of the tank without the need to remove the tank and drain out all the gas? I went ahead and siphoned out a couple of gallons and that stopped the leak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
its very common
no support on the neck
using a funnel or resting the gas can neck
the solder cracks...

sounds like the tank needs emptied and drained any ways

that gas has to be terrible
its not that bad of a job 1 hour to get it out on the ground

1974 ?? w t heck ?

I would be very happy to help with fairly easy instuctions

but the 2 bolts at the front of the straps need wirebrushed and lubed
several days before dropping .... 2" of threads need cleaned
yah you can buy replacement hardware for 15.00 if you need to from ames
but its nice to reuse original stuff...

but I have a few hints to help make it easier and smoother and safer ... and I hate typing ..
feel free to call if u want

Scott 2zero6 465 9165 till 10pm pacific

Last edited by BLK69JUDGE; 09-20-2018 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I had the exact same problem, it's old/cracked solder. I found a radiator shop around here that did gas tanks on the side and they restored the entire tank (resoldered the neck, resealed the inside, replaced the sender, etc.) Bottom line is the tank needs to come out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info, guys. Actually, a couple years ago, I was doing a clean-up on the underside, and dropped the tank just to clean it up. Everything looked good then, and since there wasn't much gas in the tank at that point, I threw out the old gas and put new gas in there. Also, even though we don't drive the car, throughout all the years we have started it up and run the engine at least once a month. That's used up gas that we replenished with the gas can every now and then, so what was in the tank wasn't gas all the way back from 1974, it's just that we've never had it as full until a few weeks ago. We just submitted for historical plates, which is why we were trying to fill up the tank.

It doesn't look to me that there's a problem with the connection at the fill tube. I might be wrong, but looks like there may be a very tiny hole about 2 inches to the left of the fill tube, and I would rather not drop the tank if it can be fixed by some kind of epoxy or something. It's easy to get to, so at this point all I want to do is plug it up, if there's something good to do that. If that doesn't work, then guess I'll have to drop the tank, drain the gas, fill the tank with water and flush/dry, then solder it closed. Just wanted to avoid that if possible. Thanks again, Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
and

68's a 1 year tank neck also .... and gas cap
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK69JUDGE View Post
and

68's a 1 year tank neck also .... and gas cap
Yup, my first inclination was just to order a new tank from the Internet, but nobody makes a 68 tank with the neck, period. Hence restoring the original one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
Yup, my first inclination was just to order a new tank from the Internet, but nobody makes a 68 tank with the neck, period. Hence restoring the original one.
I ordered a 68 tank from Ames with a new neck. Fit was good. As far as originality goes.....the detail in the neck was slightly different. The original neck has 3 ribs around the circumference of the neck near the tank body where the replacement does not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
I ordered a 68 tank from Ames with a new neck. Fit was good. As far as originality goes.....the detail in the neck was slightly different. The original neck has 3 ribs around the circumference of the neck near the tank body where the replacement does not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ahh, if anyone makes one it would be Ames. Wasn't aware of Ames when I first got this car and spent hours Googling 68 GTO gas tank only to see listing for tanks without the neck, requiring you to fab a new neck or move your original.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
These guys can fix your tank or make you own to your specifications.....

Ames doesn't make anything (other than money), they are just a distributor. You could also check OPGI or NPD as they have warehouses closer to you.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in