1969 covertible value - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1969 covertible value

hello everyone. newbie here looking for help. im going to look at a 1969 convertible tomorrow and need some help with a ball park value. its original owner numbers matching car. has 117,000 miles on it. auto on the column. which isnt my 1st choice. was repainted 5 years ago and not to an original color. thats all i know until i get there so any help would be appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
So much depends on condition that it's hard to say with any certainty. Auto on the column makes it a very rare optioned car, and that's low mileage for a 69. If it's otherwise in good condition, this sounds like one that I'd vote for going %100 original on - that would preserve the most value. What's the seller asking for it?

When you go look, take plenty of photos and post them here. Examine very closely for any hint of rust in these areas:
* Bottom of front fenders between the door and wheel opening - below the GTO emblems and above/behind the trim
* Base of windshield
* Rocker panels (bottom edge under doors)
* Bottom edges of quarter panels
* Around rear wheel openings
* Passenger compartment and trunk floor

Also check out the front bumper for nicks, gouges, and how well it fits to the fenders

If you can, get the codes off the engine (2 characters on passenger side front of block, just below head, 7 digit casting number on passenger side rear of block, down low, just 'above' transmission), and cylinder head codes (usually 2 large characters/digits "raised" on the center two exhaust ports)
If it really is 'numbers matching' you should find a string of numbers down low on the front of the block, just above the oil pan and next to the timing cover on the passenger side, that match the vehicle VIN number.

Bear

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

look at the car today . needed total resto which is not what i was looking for. he was asking 9,900 but i know he will go lower to get rid of it.there was a guy there looking at it as i pulled up and he had just taken it for a spin said it ran great.looked like who ever had painted it used a brush and tried cover up the rust with bondo.the ac was missing as the hoses were just hanging.interior was shot as well as the top. had the 4 barrel on it . didnt even look under it as i had seen enough and wasnt interested in it . ill be lurking around on this site until i find another to look at .when i was 16 my uncles brother had a 1970 gto convert and i always wanted one

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
verts will cost you a premium, whats your budget and how much work do you want to (or can you) do yourself. These days a resto is gonna cost you 20k+ if you do all the work yourself + the initial cost of the car. Its a buyers market you can get a nice restored car for 20-30K a little more for a convertible. I am going to look at a 70' GTO with Judge trim that appears to only need final body and paint this weekend, he is asking 12.000, and has over 20,000 into it

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

dont have a set # in mind. i was hoping to find a driver then get it back to shape over a short period of time.at this point in my life i dont want to get into a major project as i would like be able to use it .im looking for a deal and im sure if im patient ill find someone who has to get rid of their ride. ill also continue to look at the other gm rides from that vintage but i definitely want a convert.the gto is my 1st choice but i would be ok with a couple of the others too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in