LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
1969 Custom-S Registry

Hello All,

Some of you may know me, some of you won't. I have been a long time GTO/Pontiac guy I have owned 3 classic GTO's (68,69 and 72) 2 Grand Prix's (98 and 04) and am currently driving an 05 MBM A4 GTO. I recently purchased a 1969 Custom-S HardTop as a project.

Previous to this I was blissfully unaware of the Custom-S.

Since getting mine, I have discovered how rare and beautiful these cars are. I have seen a few posts here and there about other people that own them and I am hoping to start a registry to see how many are still out there.

My initial intention was to make this a GTO clone (I know unique idea right?)
I have since changed my mind and will pay homage to it's roots as an "S".

I have found that by the vast majority these cars (as well as LeMans and Tempests in general) are being cloned into GTO's and their unique and magical history lost.

As I am sure most of you know this car was the birth place of the Judge (The ET or TC depending on your source) was the original idea for the Judge and was instead added as the Judge option for GTO's. The ET/TC was then designated as the Custom-S.

TWO- DOOR SPORT COUPE .. 23527
TWO-DOOR HARDTOP .......... 23537
TWO-DOOR CONV ................. 23567

How many of these are still out there and rolling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Good call - I like the idea of keeping it true to its roots.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
.....i followed the same route with the Tempest, started with notions of a clone and then realized i had only seen like two or three Tempests on the road in the last 20 years. Have parked next to a lot of nice GTO's and only one other Tempest (that was not re-badged) at shows.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Proud to say that I am an owner of a Custom S.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdeleon1 View Post

Proud to say that I am an owner of a Custom S.
Awesome! Pictures?

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM

I have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacpurebrred View Post
Hello All,

Some of you may know me, some of you won't. I have been a long time GTO/Pontiac guy I have owned 3 classic GTO's (68,69 and 72) 2 Grand Prix's (98 and 04) and am currently driving an 05 MBM A4 GTO. I recently purchased a 1969 Custom-S HardTop as a project.

Previous to this I was blissfully unaware of the Custom-S.

Since getting mine, I have discovered how rare and beautiful these cars are. I have seen a few posts here and there about other people that own them and I am hoping to start a registry to see how many are still out there.

My initial intention was to make this a GTO clone (I know unique idea right?)
I have since changed my mind and will pay homage to it's roots as an "S".

I have found that by the vast majority these cars (as well as LeMans and Tempests in general) are being cloned into GTO's and their unique and magical history lost.

As I am sure most of you know this car was the birth place of the Judge (The ET or TC depending on your source) was the original idea for the Judge and was instead added as the Judge option for GTO's. The ET/TC was then designated as the Custom-S.

TWO- DOOR SPORT COUPE .. 23527
TWO-DOOR HARDTOP .......... 23537
TWO-DOOR CONV ................. 23567

How many of these are still out there and rolling?
Hello, I have one.....bought from the original owner and currently (and slowly) restoring, with some small "personal" touches.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When I was about 14 (40 years ago), my sister came home with a slightly used 69 Custom-S. It was gold, I believe it had a vinyl top. I thought that was the neatest car ever. It started my Pontiac love affair. Soon a neighbor bought a 70 Judge, and another got a GT-37. My parents had a 68 Catalina. What a great neighborhood.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Garage
I met a guy from Pensacola, FL with one a couple weeks ago. Really cool car. He used the old broken grill to make Faux hideaway headlights, looked great, chrome bumpers and hideaways.
I'm with you, my 70 is a Lemans Sport.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Buying Custom S Tonight by Accident

I was looking at a 1969 GTO restomod clone that was advertised as a Lemans the other day. I made an offer ($6,500/it runs.... with no rust), but was confused by the wing window.
After running the body tag numbers and some research, it turns out to be the 200th Pontiac Tempest Custom S with the 350 4 barrel. It has the GTO hood and front fender with a funky wing on back.
From some fast reading, it looks like only 7,600 of these were produced in this configuration. Interior is stock, with buckets and center console/auto 400.
So, I was going to just have fun with it and mod it to what I wanted since it was a clone anyway. Now.... crap. Confused.
Any thoughts out there???
The seller may know where the original motor is.
PS: it does come with the original nose and hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-19 17.45.26.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	79330   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-19 17.45.10-1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	900.2 KB
ID:	79338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-19 17.45.57-1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	79346  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd J Sullivan View Post
I was looking at a 1969 GTO restomod clone that was advertised as a Lemans the other day. I made an offer ($6,500/it runs.... with no rust), but was confused by the wing window.
After running the body tag numbers and some research, it turns out to be the 200th Pontiac Tempest Custom S with the 350 4 barrel. It has the GTO hood and front fender with a funky wing on back.
From some fast reading, it looks like only 7,600 of these were produced in this configuration. Interior is stock, with buckets and center console/auto 400.
So, I was going to just have fun with it and mod it to what I wanted since it was a clone anyway. Now.... crap. Confused.
Any thoughts out there???
The seller may know where the original motor is.
PS: it does come with the original nose and hood.
There is no way to tell from a body tag or from the VIN, that the '69 Custom S received the 350 HO engine. I'd hazard more '68-72 350 2 bbl Pontiac A body's have received 4 bbl intakes and carburetors than 389 4bbl GTO's were "upgraded" by owners to tripower setups. A very common swap and have actually provided date matching '70 and '71 intakes, Qjets,and dual snorkel aircleaneds for just such swaps. '69 Custom S 2 door hardtops....have owned 4 hardtops and two Custom S converts. One of the verts was solid enough to leave here with the body shell intact. The other vert's LH quarter panel, rear trunk panel, doors, and repaired deck lid made their way into GTO restorations.

Disagree with the years old original poster's post that the '69 Custom S was somehow the result of the stillborn ET concept. The ET concept was built off a 2 door Coupe LeMans, and built to test against base equip '68 Roadrunners @ the GM Proving Grounds. The ET concept, equipped as a pkg with 350HO engines, was a relatively bare bones performance vehicle, as an exercise. Built to study the feasibility of a bare bones bones Performance Pontiac to battle in sales with RoadRunners, SuperBees and other entry level muscl. . Some like to see the ET as the impetus to the '69 Judge, though quite a few of us disagree, & no GTO's were going to be be built as Coupes without GTO hoods and with 350 Pontiac engines. Delorean made sure of that... before he left Pontiac to head Chevrolet. A shuffled trim level '69 LeMans built with a base overhead cam6, a Sprint6 , or a 350 2bbl is not what the ET was conceived as.

On the primered project car in Florida...I'm out on about anything out of Florida or any southern gulf state without personally inspecting said vehicle while up on a lift. Many years ago, shipped a lot of nice sheet metal to restorers in Florida, they would have been better off heading west and buying much more solid cars.. Most of what is being thrown together down there, today, is puppy mill junk, buyer beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in