1969 GTO..Help Please - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1969 GTO..Help Please

I am looking to purchase a 1969 GTO. I am not to familiar with the GTO'S. Could someone please fill me in on some things to look for when I go to see the car Saturday. Like how to tell if it is a true GTO and not a clone. Is there a certain digit (s) I need to look for in the vin # etc. Anything you guys think I need to look at or for will be very helpful. Some basics is it has 2 motors and one is supposed too be the original, it is a 4 speed car with bucket seats. I believe it is black on black. as well. Thank you in advance..New member here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The vin number will begin with the digits "242" on a real 69 GTO. On the original engine, you'll be able to find the serial number portion of the vin (last several digits) on the front of the engine block, down low, next to the passenger side of the timing cover. (Don't confuse this with the 2 character id code and the numeric sequence number that's also on the passenger side but up high, near the cylinder deck.) If this number doesn't match the vin, it's not the original engine.

The vin should also be on top of the frame on the drivers side, between the rear wheel and the end of the frame. This one is very tough to see with the body on the car unless you get lucky with a mirror.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
The vin number will begin with the digits "242" on a real 69 GTO. On the original engine, you'll be able to find the serial number portion of the vin (last several digits) on the front of the engine block, down low, next to the passenger side of the timing cover. (Don't confuse this with the 2 character id code and the numeric sequence number that's also on the passenger side but up high, near the cylinder deck.) If this number doesn't match the vin, it's not the original engine.

The vin should also be on top of the frame on the drivers side, between the rear wheel and the end of the frame. This one is very tough to see with the body on the car unless you get lucky with a mirror.

Bear
Ok that is some great info. Thank you. Now as far as the motor goes is the 400 the only engine that came in that year or was there a special edition motor of any type?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Also is there any significant item that with tell me if it is a "Judge" or just a GTO. From everything I looked up the vin # is the same for both "242 37"??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevelleSS View Post
Also is there any significant item that with tell me if it is a "Judge" or just a GTO. From everything I looked up the vin # is the same for both "242 37"??
Ok from everything I read it is hard to tell a real judge from a clone..the vin #"s are the same but it did give me a few good tips to look for.

Did the 4 speeds in the GTO's come with a Muncie or Saginaw trans?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
the best way if you are serious is to order PHS documents (50.00 or so) before striking a deal they are basically the build sheet for your VIN so it will tell you exactly how the car came from the factory. As for the Judge they will tell you that also as it was an option to the GTO. Judge would in most cases (not all) have the tail spoiler, with two torsion bars on the trunk hinges, hood tach, functional hood scoops, RAIII or IV motor, "The Judge" dash emblem.

Muncies

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
400 was the only engine option for GTO's (68's & 69's)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
get a book on id Pontiac
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevelleSS View Post
Ok that is some great info. Thank you. Now as far as the motor goes is the 400 the only engine that came in that year or was there a special edition motor of any type?
Every 69 GTO left the factory with a 400 (well, rumors of "special build cars" for factory execs and insiders notwithstanding)..
There were at least 4 different 400's though: Ram Air IV, Ram Air III, "regular" GTO, and even a 2-barrel version. Id'ing which one this car has is a two step process: 1) decode the 4-character date code on the top rear of the block next to the distributor. This determines the model year and it's important because the same "engine id code" was used in different years to mean different things. 2) decode the 2-character engine id code on the passenger side front of the block, just below the head.

You can use the same process on cylinder heads: start with the date code to nail down the model year, then use the head casting number (usually larger 2, sometimes 3 character code on top of the center two exhaust ports, but not always).

Do a web search for "pontiac engine codes" and you'll find several sites with the codes and where to find them on the engine. Always use several different sites - sometimes people make mistakes.

As far as id'ing a judge, the only reliable way is to send the complete vin to PHS and pay their fee to get the documentation on the car.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Car ended up being a Lemans and need a ton of work. Thanks for the info and the heads up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in