1969 GTO Judge weld question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1969 GTO Judge weld question

I am looking at buying my friends 1969 Judge...He has owned it since 1988. I noticed on both sides of the top of the rear roof line from the top of the rear window, to the top of the quarter window bubble marks on the paint and a faint line through the paint showing where the quarters were put on. The vehicle is supposedly original with one paint job...Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
That is where the factory seam is and it should be leaded over, no bondo. Possible that it is coming out and needs to be Releaded....
Vinyl top car?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

No. no vinyl top. All one color. It is weird that it is both sides though...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Many times one will observe a faint line of where the joint is. On some dark colors, ESP black, the line is often very visible.
Originally, non vinyl top A bodys had a much better finished roof seam than those equipped with factory vinyl tops. Often on drag cars, the original lead work on the roof joint can tear, or move around. A year or so back, was mentioning to a friend who posts on PY board how the drivers side roof and 1/4 panel joint was really moving around when the prev owner of his RAIV Judge was racing it in modified form in the late '90's. Previous owner never installed a 6 or 8 point roll bar, and even as a mid to high 11 sec car on slicks, the sheet metal in this area was visibly moving around upon launch at the strip.

A really good long time body man can often spot poorly replaced 1/4 panels. One really needs a very educated eye looking over an expensive restored car for sale or even a lacquer painted car represented as a "Survivor". , its amazing the lengths some will go. Over the years, have even ran across "back clipped" A body's that the original car consisted of the original frame, original engine, original cowl and roof. The rockers, floor, and rear 1/4's were spliced in from a solid donor car. Many times the work is flawless. Other times, not! On one '69 Judge restoration, I observed in the mid 90's, the metal man performing a back clip, tacked the two large body sections together, and after welding of the B pillar area, the rear window opening was too tight to accept the stock untouched back glass and window trim clips. At that time, the upper and lower edges of the back glass were carefully block sanded down. When finshed, the rear window, as well as the original stainless trim fit perfectly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY OFCR View Post
I am looking at buying my friends 1969 Judge...He has owned it since 1988. I noticed on both sides of the top of the rear roof line from the top of the rear window, to the top of the quarter window bubble marks on the paint and a faint line through the paint showing where the quarters were put on. The vehicle is supposedly original with one paint job...Is this normal?
I am no body man but what you describe is a seam where the quarter panel was welded to the roof. Often the seam is filled with lead if body work was done. Without seeing pictures I am assuming moisture got beneath the paint and it's rusting from the inside out. Sanding down to bare metal and doing it right should eliminate your problem.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

My only issue is that the car has been driven maybe 200 miles a year. he stored it in a semi heated garage, has not touched the paint since he's owned it (1988)..so why would these marks be there with no progression of rust or paint issue.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Has the '69 always been pampered, original engine car, or has it had a much much stronger engine installed and back in the day, the car drag raced on slicks down into the 11's without a rollbar? That's what I saw with the original sailpanels on the low mile '69 blue RAIV Judge. Would bet Rob saw the same blue RA4 Judge, years ago at Southern Nationals.

IF the '69 is known to be a two-three owner car, very well documented, no racing history, there had to be poor preparation or incompatibility of materials when the '69 was repainted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in