1969 GTO - The Unveiling - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1969 GTO - The Unveiling

This car belongs to my dad. Has been sitting, sometimes tarped, sometimes in a barn, lately uncovered. Finally got the hood opened. Here she is.

Anyone want to throw their $0.02 as to where to begin? I want to get the car running again.

RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
WELCOME

WOW !! original paint !! dont do anything with the paint !!!!

dont sand dont prime ... LEAVE IT OLD its a survivor

now thats a sitter ........ so glad you took the video and pictures of the unveiling of your familys GTO

manual steering ,,,, power disc brakes with the original master cylinder ,,,, NICE ,,,thats what your touching at the end,,

headers ,,,, cornering light option on the fender ,,,, fairly rare option to see on an original car...

tinted windows ,,,,, hidden headlights .... two tone or was it a vinyl top car in the day ...??

great car !!!

as a '69 GTO owner myself I see a ton of potential with your car,,,

I look forward to your next video..................

Scott T

I cant wait to see the next video of the interior ... what a great family bonding time of

fun stories and good times in your car I bet

OIL the hood hinges so you dont bend the hood ,,,, lube the inside of each rivet on the hinges where the hinge moves

Last edited by BLK69JUDGE; 07-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

The car was originally a vinyl top. We took some car wash soap to the car while the Wasps would let us get close enough and we did scrub off some of the old dirt and grime. There's still some Rust in the paint and it is certainly not perfect. The interior is a complete mess but the door panels that are in the car are original. All the upholstery obviously is trash. I did spray some liquid wrench on the rivets that are holding the hinge so that we could get it to move. I'm afraid to close it back up too soon. When we were trying to get the hood lever handle to release the Hood, part of that tea snapped. I still have enough to grab onto but I obviously probably need to replace that. I guess my first move is to take the spark plugs off and put some Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and see if the engine will move

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, what a gem. I am onboard with doing everything you can to keep the patina of the paint as is and simply hose it off. I would not try to clean/buff/wax or anything else.

The car is a "time capsule" of the 1980's era. The slotted aluminum rims were very popular and what was installed on many of the "muscle cars" we had. Finned valve covers are another "shiny" add-on that most had even though the car originally had factory chrome rocker covers - they just didn't cut it with the "motorhead crowd," finned aluminum got the looks.

The air cleaner has been modified. It would have normally had 2 "snorkels" protruding where you see the oval holes. So why were they removed? An inexpensive way to allow more air to flow freely through the air filter without the restriction of the snorkels. Usually we added a custom chrome air cleaner and open element filter purchased at the local NAPA or reversed the air cleaner lid which exposed more of the air filter. Either way, this really ramped up the sound of the Quadrajet when the big secondaries popped open.

It may be real tempting to bring the car back to showroom new, but you will get more looks, and touch on more memories from us "old guys" if you can present the exterior as it is. These are the type of cars at car shows and cruises that people are drawn to and hang around. Re-do the interior, replace mechanical parts, rebuild what needs rebuilding, but I would keep that original 1980's look and patina.

Just my .02 cents worth.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of wisdom. My dad saw the video of the hood opening and was excited. I'll post more tomorrow after I deal with oiling the hood hinges, adding oil into the cylinders, and fog the carburetor. Tomorrow will be fun

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Carb fogged, spark plugs removed and cylinders oiled. Car washed again. Didn't have the right socket size to try and turn the engine pulley. Anyone know what size socket it is?? 7/8, 15/16??? I will look but I think it's one of those because those are the two I didn't have.. My son needed to learn "right tighty lefty loose" with the socket wrench. I will not fail him..

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Wow!...awesome car! Slot mags look amazing! I bet the engine works just fine. Is it an auto- or 4sp? Niiiice! Very cool patina!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I dont see any tranny cooler lines..... hmmmmm

1:36 first video shows auto radiator tank tho ... with no transmission lines nearby ....

dont look toooooo close it has a custom sport steering wheel also...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

part 3 of "DADS 69 GTO" coming soon !!!

I hope

Scott
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

What is the significance of the custom sport steering wheel? Much to learn, I see. Tomorrow, going to turn the engine and see if we can get it moving again

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

It is a 4 speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in