1970 Gto 455 Convertible -- Triple Black - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's it worth? 1970 Gto 455 Convertible -- Triple Black

Guys -- newbie here -- I love the forum -- I've owned this car for 5 years and now that my wife and I just had our third baby...it may have to go -- but I have no idea what to sell it for -- it's one of the 241 Automatic 455 verts built in 1970 -- it was a freemont car -- it has lived it's entire life in California -- I live in Southern California -- when I bought it...it was a little tired and had a one day paint job on it -- but it was all original metal -- no accidents no rust ever -- 83k original miles -- original interior no rips just a little faded -- really a relic --

i have completely rebuilt the motor with a guy here who only does pontiacs -- he built a 69 4 speed vert that was amazing for me -- anyway -- the 70 has power windows -- console -- AC -- power top -- am/fm -- the PHS shows a price of 5135.86 -- so it was really well equipped -- I put a 6 thousand dollar paint job on it and I rechromed all of the original chrome -- the paint is very good, but in my very picky opinion it's like a 7 -- and the engine compartment is nice, clean (dusty right now) but not fully detailed.

The tops is old and faded but no major rips -- carpet faded etc. -- I put this car at a 2.75 on the 5 point scale -- I'm a tough grader -- it wins local shows and the PHS blows people away -- i will try to attach a photo but every time I try to do that it says my file is too big -- maybe one of you whiz kids can accept an e-mail picture from me and pots it for me -- i'm not using the forum as a classifieds -- I know you guys have a section for that -- I'm just trying to get your very educated opinions on it's current value and it's projected potential --

Last edited by neelfryer; 03-07-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: no responses -- I forgot to pose a question in the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

PIX of the 455 1970 vert

lemme try to post pix --
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG
Views:	2848
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	1138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	1560
Size:	685.8 KB
ID:	1139   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010048.JPG
Views:	1835
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	1140  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Current value range (February 2007) for the 1970 455 GTO Convertible is:
$15,500 for a "fair" car
$27,700 for an "excellent" car
$55,400 for a top end show quality car

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response -- great opinion -- you have to know that I have found 3 of them in classifieds on the web -- one is 250k (Ram Air) -- one is 178k (optioned exactly like my car but restored) and the last one is 75k (not a desirable color combo and I've seen it being advertised for a while) -- so the numbers you suggest are obviously lower than what these guys are asking -- but then again they are still for sale...I'm curious as to what other guys think

I also just looked at the e-bay listings and there are 70 GTO verts that are asking high 60's -- it's a crazy world -- john
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As always we all think our cars are worth more than others are willing to pay. It boils down to what you think you can sell it for. By asking us here on the forum you are in the dark as to what it is worth. Based on the numbers Lars presented, you probably are in the $30-45K range. When Lars speaks I listen. He is one of the most knowledgable guys on this forum. If you are really serious about selling it, you need to give yourself an edge and price works every time.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Keep in mind you’ll be getting back more than you have invested, and you had the use of it all that time. That is what’s so great about owning vintage cars. Be sure to get plenty photos, cause you’ll talk about it the rest of your life.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM

I will gladly give $30k for it!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

you guys are very cool -- just like the guys on my shelby forum -- well informed -- good advice -- truth is I'm not dead set on selling -- it's a blast of a car and it would honestly be irreplaceable if that's a word -- 2 years ago I sold the 69 4 speed vert that you see in one of those photos for 40k -- it went quickly too -- numbers matching -- very nicely detailed and original but a number 2 car -- knowing that the 455 is 1 of 241 and that it's triple black and as original as it is (72k miles -- I went to see the car today) -- I would never sell it for anywhere near the 40 k I sold the 69 for

The 69 was 1 of like 2218 4 speed verts in 69 ( just a wild guess on the 2218 I'm sure you guys have the exact number on your tongues) -- so I would really have to think long and hard about what I think is a fair price for me to sell the car for.

I agree though ...we always think are cars are worth more than they are -- it's pride of ownership and I really appreciate that -- as crazy as it sounds -- I really don't think I'd sell this car for less than 100k -- which probably means that I will own it for life -- I had a crazy Barrett Jackson experience but that's a topic for another post -- keep the opinions coming
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There are a few rare Concourse Rotisserie restored 70's listed on http://traderonline.com for over $100,000. Restored hardtops are listed from the high 20's to 60's. Verts are listed for 30's to 80's.
Beautiful car and welcome to GTOfrum.

Randy

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 AM

I just purchased a 74 Pontiac GT, 4 speed Ram air 350. This is my first classic, finally saved up to buy one. I love the car to death...as with alot of older cars the trim pieces are chipping and falling apart in some places. This is an A-Body, all the catalogues and websites I go to for pieces like this stop at 1973 for the Gt. Anyone here know where I can find interior trim pieces? Swap, used, etc???

PS-I know this is a GTO forum. I have some spare parts for a 74/75 Grand Am, console, shifter, gauge cluster with clock..Anyone know anyone thats interested drop me a line...Also thanks alot for any leads for trim pieces. Its the last thing I need to finish off the interior....

Love the website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in