1970 GTO Key Codes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1970 GTO Key Codes

I have a 1970 GTO for which I do not have keys that work the passenger doors. I suspect over time that someone replaced the assembly in the ignition so I have a new ignition key and did not bother to update the door locks. I have tried unsuccessfully to get the cylinders, so I haven't gone so far as to get replacement locks yet.

I have a copy of the documentation from the PHS that shows the build of the car as it was ordered/built and sent to the dealership. On that sheet it calls out key codes for both the ignition and truck locks. I am guessing this is a long shot, but is there any chance of getting keys made that match those codes? I am sure if I go to my local locksmith he will thing I am crazy for need a 1970 key, but maybe someone knows of someway to order keys to that code or perhaps a way to decipher the code?

I know it is a long shot that the code even still matches the cylinders in the door; but I figured it was worth a shot!

Any guidance would be appreciated, even if it is to tell me I can't do anything with the codes.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
There is a small paperback style book that alphanumerically lists each key code & the positions the key has to be cut. My Dad worked for over 35 years for GMAC, & during the mid to late 80's had a copy of this book, along with a hand held key cutting device. Been many years since have I've cut keys with one, or have seen such a book, but I would imagine a longtime Locksmith would have one. The book I'm remembering was for GM (Mark of Excellence) keys used from '69 up into the mid to late 80's. The style of key blanks repeated every 5th year.

The other solution is to remove the inner door handle, arrmrest, remote mirror bezel nut, then carefully remove the door panel. Next, the window can be carefully loosened & allowed to carefully drop. One there is room, one can remove the door lock clip & the small rod. Next, take this door lock to a local locksmith & they can make you keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in