1970 Lemans with Ram Air IV ??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1970 Lemans with Ram Air IV ???

I recently picked up a solid 1970 Lemans on a trip to Baltimore ... To my surprise when i lifted the hood there was the Ram Air IV ... I snapped it up and quickly did some vin decoding and sure enough it had a 1 right after the B in the vin which makes it an 8cyl with undr 100,000 produced ... can any body give me any info on this car VIN 235370B137196 ... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfigures7 View Post
I recently picked up a solid 1970 Lemans on a trip to Baltimore ... To my surprise when i lifted the hood there was the Ram Air IV ... I snapped it up and quickly did some vin decoding and sure enough it had a 1 right after the B in the vin which makes it an 8cyl with undr 100,000 produced ... can any body give me any info on this car VIN 235370B137196 ... Thanks
This is the car? Sell used 1970 Pontiac LeMans - True American Muscle Car - Possible GTO Judge Clone in Ellicott City, Maryland, United States, for US $7,250.00

What makes you think its a R/A IV? Only one engine pic can't tell from the pic. No R/A IV was ever factory installed in a Lemans no Ram Air was ever on a Lemans. That 1 has no bearing on whether it would be a Ram Air.

If that is indeed a R/A motor in it you have stumbled onto a gold mine of a motor. Someone installed it. Check the Stampings on the motor the heads etc. This is where you want to be looking. I seriously doubt its a Ram air motor let alone a IV. WW manual XP auto trans is R/A IV engine code letters.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 09-27-2014 at 03:33 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Whoa - hold on there cowboy. Id'ing a real Ram Air IV takes a lot more than a decal or two. There are some engine codes that you're going to need to check - in this order.
1) Engine date code - 4 character code - top rear center of the block next to the distributor hole.
2) Engine casting number - passenger side rear of the block, down low below the head, near the transmission mount flange - 7 digit number that should begin with 979
3) 2 character engine code, passenger side front of the block, just underneath the head. 1970 RA IV will be either WW or XP.
4) Cylinder heads. Center two exhaust ports will be Round - not D-shaped like 99% of all the other Pontiac engines. Cylinder head code for Ram Air IV heads will be found on top of the drivers side FRONT exhaust port. 1969 is 722, 1970 is 614.

If all those numbers line up, then yep - you've got yourself a Ram Air IV engine and are one lucky dude.
If not, then post back what all those codes are and we'll help you ID what it really is.

Also, be aware of a couple things:
* Ram Air IV intake manifolds were 2-piece units. The manifold itself was aluminum, the exhaust crossover (part in the center of the manifold that runs between the two heads and goes under the carburetor) was a separate piece and was made out of case iron. Regular Pontiac intakes are all one piece and made out of cast iron.
* A/C wasn't an available option on Ram Air IV cars, not from the factory anyway.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Funny, as I was responding to this thread Milt Schornack called me and during the course of our conversation I mentioned this car to him and read it from the ad. WTF he said. I'd bet against it he said. LOL.

Stranger things have happened. If someone did indeed dump a R/A IV in this, I'd love to know the motivation for it in a 235 car. The motor alone is worth more than the asking price of the car.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok well guys , I appreciate the attack/assault ... I thought this is why forums exist so that riddles like this can be solved by guys that have knowledge on the subject ... I know everything you guys have mentioned , I am beyond your average collector of classics ... I do believe it to be a Ram air 1. Because it has Ram Air IV 4 air cleaner
2. The Carb 3. The fact this thing is a rip roaring monster ... So gentleman I appreciate the crucifixion guess ill just get dirty and check off the list ... Just thought maybe somebody had some info ... Hope it's a Real Ram and post pics but I won't gloat , ill just Goat ... Thx Fellas
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I bought the car for $4000 ... I'm not worried either way
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

MD title has A. For actual mileage listed at 22,395 if that makes you hate me anymore
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1685
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	46522
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	46530
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
That's not a Ram Air IV air cleaner. The 400-4 means 400 - 4 Barrel. The "Ram Air" underneath just means - Ram Air. But... the car doesn't have a Ram Air system on it. There's no lower pan, seal, upper pan, open scoops --- none of the components of a Ram Air system. All you've got there is a chrome air cleaner top with a sticker on it.

HOWEVER - if you'll check what I said again, I didn't say that it can't be a Ram Air IV engine - I can't tell that one way or the other from the photos in the ad. All I did was provide you the information to make that determination yourself. If it is, then I'll say it again - you're one lucky dude.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in