1971 GTO... needs more umph! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1971 GTO... needs more umph!

Hi! Sure glad I found this forum. I'm a new Goat owner but a long time (kinda) pontiac fan. I was 15 when I bought my 1st Pontiac. (1972 Lemans Lux.) I'm 21 now and just purchased some muscle. Judge orange 1971 GTO (400 w/ 4spd). Pretty much bare bone stock. I've had it for three weeks and love it. However I want to ditch the stock air cleaner. Which if I am not mistaken, comes with highly recommend carb and intake upgrade as well. Is this true? Any suggestions? I love the originality of the car and will keep all the old parts just as a precaution, but after years of body work and nose repairing (done a few for my friends ... i'm getting good) I want to learn about motors now that a actually have one worth learning about ; ) Thanks.

-Pontiac Jack

ps...

looking for a couple parts...

Hood tach
Fender Trim
Rally Clock

Thanks Again!

Last edited by PontiacJack; 02-07-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Start looking on Ebay and check out Year One and Ames Performance.

also check out GTOAA.COM to find a local club that maybe able to give advice on engine upgrades.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 PM
ramairws6

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i can help you

i can advise you on any low dough mods you want , been building fast poncho
motors cheap i know the right combinations ask away !

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Jack -
The parts you're looking for are available from Ames and Year One.

The stock GTO 400 will respond well to a few modest performance mods:

The stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, as is the stock exhaust system. If you want to keep it looking near-stock, use a set of Ram Air manifolds - these flow much better. If appearance is not a factor, get a good set of headers, like the Hooker Supercomps, and run them through a 2-1/2 inch system with a good set of Flowmaster mufflers. This will wake it up right away.

The stock cam in your car is most likely the old reliable "067" if you have an automatic. It could even be an "066." This cam is a bit conservative, to say the least. If you want a factory cam with a smooth idle, step up to the "744" (Ram Air III) or pick one of many available dual pattern aftermarket cams in this basic lift/duration range. There are significant improvements to be made with a modern cam. Install a new timing chain to make things nice and tight.

Along with the cam, upgrade the valvetrain with a good set of springs, keepers and retainers. The stock springs will float at a surprisingly low rpm.

The stock ignition curve is too slow for a performance application. Curve the distributor to provide 16-18 degrees initial advance, 36 degrees total advance, with all the advance coming in at 2500 rpm. This makes a HUGE difference in throttle response and performance.

The stock cast iron intake is OK, but you can get a noticeable improvement using the Performer RPM intake. Use any 750 cfm carb set up correctly (the stock Q-Jet is 750, and will perform well if set up right). Swapping air cleaners from a stock dual snorkel to an open element isn't going to gain you much other than some chrome flash.

These simple mods will produce a fairly significant change in performance of your otherwise stock 400.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Also, keep in mind that 1971 was the first year the GTO came with a lower compression ratio of 8.2:1 down from the previous years of 10.75:1, This was when the big 3 started scalling back muscle car performance and emissions started coming into the picture. The 1971 GTO was produced with a stock HP rating of 300hp down from 360 in the previous years. Also, the 1972 GTO saw a loss of another 50 hp.

In addition to lars suggestions, I would shop for a new set of heads to get the compression ratio back to 10.75:1.

Randy

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone. I actually opted to take care of a few asthetics 1st. The previous owner let the hood flip up while driving and curled the hood beyond repair. Lost some wipers and ruined the hinges in the process. I Have a hood coming from Long Island (that was real hard to find!) hinges, wipers, and a reproduction latch for good measure.

The goat definatly needs some help breathing. I know a shop in San Mateo (Pennisula) that did the exhaust (complete) on my friends cherry '68 camero for $900. Included hedman headers, pipes, dual chamber flows, and installation (very clean job the camero was previous lower and you can't see a bit of the exhaust... its tucked very well.) Anyways my question is, is it tacky to install ram air iii for a gto originally NOT having it? How much does it cost, how hard is it to find parts? I've seen some pretty good looking setups on ebay for $950, including hood ducts, air cleaner etc.... is the original ram air iii intake ness.? how about the ram air iii heads? Or can I find compatible aftermarket parts? I remember reading that lots of headers don't match up well with ram air iii heads... i ask because i am leaning towards installing ram air, but don't want buy into a exhaust system and find out i have to chop up my headers and replace all together. I know I could probably get lots of info from this exhaust shop i want to go check out real soon. But wanted the poncho prespective... espically on the tacky-ness question.

thanks

Last edited by 05GTO; 02-18-2005 at 06:48 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 AM

It won't help to add all the Ram Air features unless you have the Ram Air Heads. As far as performance and umph goes, the skies the limit. It depends on how much you want to spend, and how deep into the engine you want to go. If your bottom end (block is still good) is ok I would start with the heads. IMO the biggest upgrade on a Pontiac are the Headsand Cam.You can go wth repo aluminum heads ie: Edlebrocks ( designed like the ram air head) Kaufmans( a new ram air D port head), or a used set of Pontiac Large valve cast iron heads that are milled to attain a good commpression ratio. When designing your engine always keep in mind the compression ratio. The higher the ratio, the higher in octane fuel your car will need. Then choose a Cam to match the Heads, then an exhaust system to match both. There are so many different combo's it can become confusing.
Before spending any $ I would recommend you purchase Jim Hand's book on building performance Pontiac engines. Between the covers are a wealth of information and a list of builders and the combinations they use.
Hope this helps.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJack
Anyways my question is, is it tacky to install ram air iii for a gto originally NOT having it? How much does it cost, how hard is it to find parts? I've seen some pretty good looking setups on ebay for $950, including hood ducts, air cleaner etc.... is the original ram air iii intake ness.? how about the ram air iii heads? Or can I find compatible aftermarket parts? I remember reading that lots of headers don't match up well with ram air iii heads...
There's nothing special about a Ram Air III. Ram Air III used the "744" cam on the 4-spd engines, and the plain ol' "068" cam in the automatic cars. The Ram Air III was available in 1969 and 1970, and featured plain "D"-port heads with slightly higher compression than the standard D-port heads, but no more flow. The RAIII had fairly good exhaust manifolds, and came with a cold air induction package. None of the cold air package parts will fit your '71, so there's no point in getting a "Ram Air III" package for your car. The Ram Air III heads will bolt on, and will only give you the advantage of higher compression than your stock '71 heads. There are no problems with headers for the RAIII heads - they are regular D-Port heads that accept any Pontiac "A" body header.

If I were you, I'd skip on the RAIII conversion: the "744" cam is not computer optimized, making the cam good for its time, but a poor choice compared to modern cams. The RAIII heads provide compression, but not that good flow. There is no difference between a RAIII intake and a standard Pontiac 4-bbl intake: it's a regular cast iron intake.

If you want to make the car quick, go with a set of aftermarket heads, a good aftermarket cam, a set of headers, and a good aftermarket intake. Things have come a long way since Pontiac built these engines in 1970, and you'll be paying a premium for the "original" '69-'70 Ram Air III parts that really won't gain you much (and the Ram Air stuff won't fit anyway).
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
ramairws6

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
heads schmeads

ram air schram air, the only differance are sd heads round exhaust ports,and the most important thing 4 bolt mains forged crank , all d port exhaust ports will flow about the same all the way across the board, the differance in d ports is the combustion chamber size period will determine compression ratio,
if you got d ports it will only make torque to 5500 rpms period. the extreme
drop in the exhaust ports were engineed not to flow over 5500 rpm because
the bottom ends were weak. the sd 4 bolt could turn over 5500 rpms but the
chambers were 120ccs too big to build compression. flat top pistons,small chambers,1.76 rockers,screw in 7/16 big block chevy studs,remachine spring seats in the heads run small block chevy springs,thats the ticket flat tappet cam 556i 565e 112 ctr cam 455 cubic inch toque from 1200rpm to 5400rpms
now you cooking this combo will spank the z06 i know it will it ran 10.99s
in a 4,000 lb 70 gto convertible. grasshopper you now have the secret!

keep the overpriced aluminum heads run steel its for real i know more ask me!!!!

Last edited by ramairws6; 02-25-2005 at 09:07 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in