User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004GTO Transplant to 1964GTO

Hey all. First post here.
i am looking for some advice and knowledge from people with more experience than I.
im 22. almost finished building my 1967 Convertible GTO. completely stock. 400/4spd car.
im starting a new project and im curious of a few things. im starting to transplant a 2004GTO into my 1964 GTO. I dont yet own a '04. before i do so. i want to know a few things.
im definitely gunna put the LS1 gto engine w/ 6spd manual trans into the 64. however. my idea was to purchase a complete '04 and transplant everything into the 64. does anyone know for sure about fitment?
do the brakes/suspension/wheel bolt pattern/etc of the '04 fit the 64? i know interior parts and such will require mods to fit. that, im fine with. but im curious if i could transplant the drivetrain with relatively no modification?
ive done ls swaps before so i know i can get that done, but im curious about everything else. if it could work, buying a complete '04 and transplanting it would be cheaper than piecing it together.

thank you all for your help and advice, and any other words of wisdom you have for me

not afraid of the work involved(which i realize will be a lot). just wondering if the fitment of those kind of parts would work

thanks again

Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Brakes, suspension and wheel bolt pattern are completely different. The project is possible though. It has been done. If you search YouTube you may find a video where someone built a 64 convertible around the bare LS GTO skeleton. I think he had to stretch the car a bit so the 64 body would fit the wheel base.

If I understood the video correctly....it sounded like he removed the body panels from the late model GTO and then grafted on the 64 body onto the modified unibody. This would seem like the easiest way to make the swap in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Further down on todays active topics hpage, there is a topic from Mutant, really sharp '70 that the entire underpinnings are late Holden/GTO, very impressive. A fellow named Don from GA began doing the same a '63 LeMans, his thread is on PY board. That was about 6 years ago, he ended getting half done & turned it over to a street rod fabrication shop that did away with a lot of the straight forward work & good he had done & went back in with a lot of DOM tubing & street rid fabrication, whooptee gangster 20-2" wheels & tires, etc. Ended up being a very very expensive build. I would bet close to 100K outlay.

My .02 is unless you have a fully equipped shop, a ton of experience beyond your years, & thousands of hours of free time, pretty strong rathole of cash, forget trying to section the cowl, floor pans, etc out of the late model GTO, & just stick with a LS1 swap.. As far as LS1 swaps go, there are a TON of in the Pontiac hobby that just aren't very impressed with seeing this done to solid desirable early GTO's. Quite a few with loads of parts are long tenured vendors & collectors & most will not sell to folks "building" such deals. There are lot of parts, esp front end sheet metal, bumpers, etc for the '64's & '65's that can just not be ordered with swipe of a card through a catalogue of offshore built parts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you say that just buying a complete '04 GTO and transplanting the engine/trans and then taking components out of the interior (ie seats) and then reselling the gto as a roller would be my best bet? that was my original idea, i just swap the gto ls1 and add a few components from the '04 to the '64, and then keep everything else from the 64 original (ie chassis, dash, interior) and then just upgrade the suspension and rear end and steering down the road

better idea?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Am not 100% up on current Salvage Pool pricing on '04 GTO's or on drivetrain stripped '04-06 rollers. Can a less than 100k mile GTO LS engine/transmission combo be bought in good operating condition for say, under 4K? Do have a contact in that business, & know '04's typically don't bring what '05's & '06's do. Also realize many of the lower asking price Holden/GTO's are high mile &/or have been thrashed & don't make the best partcars. Would think there would be a wide variety of '04-06's as well as 4th Gen F-body's in the Pools. Further south in TX, am betting many with light to extenive flood damage from Huricane Harvey. Thats where a very experienced specialty salvage operator/buyer will know what's a decent candidate for a parts car or builder.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are really serous about doing this, look through the 2004/65 Mutant I build and the 2006/70 Mutant II build. Then get with me and I can fill you in on the good/bad things here.
You can buy a complete 2004-2006 GTO that has been wrecked in the $5000 range. I paid 4200 for the 2004 and 5000 for the 2006.

Mutant II - LS1GTO.com Forums

this is a link to the Mutant II build, in the first post is a link to the Mutant I post, the 65,
email me at [email protected].

I don't alot. for some reason, I always have to rest my pasword, it may be because I use multible computers..I really don't know..good luck
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in