2008 Ls2 400HP - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 Ls2 400HP

I just got this baby and would like some advice. I am totally new to swaps, performance upgrades, etc when it comes to Ls engines.

I need to know the best cost effective automatic tranny, best cost effective cam upgrade, mount relocator, etc.
I would like to take the SBC from my 69 and install this there since it makes more sense to the pro-touring category.
Any input?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! chui1980 isn't goin' back with a Pontiac engine, he's upgrading with an LS mill. And all those months of forum counseling and Pontiac therapy just got flushed!

Well, I guess this is what the world is coming to. Honestly though, Pontiac engines are indeed becoming harder to find in many areas and when you do find one, prices are not so reasonable most of the times. No "cheap" deals in my area. Edelbrock just announced another re-design of their aluminum head. Cost? $1,300 each head. For $2,600, I could easily build a stout carbureted small block that included a pair of aluminum heads. And, if you need engine parts when going to that long distance show, you can get them.

Should be able to get some input here, but the swap is not inexpensive, so I'll stick with my Pontiacs, or when I do give in, it'll be a 496 Big Block with tunnel ram.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! chui1980 isn't goin' back with a Pontiac engine, he's upgrading with an LS mill. And all those months of forum counseling and Pontiac therapy just got flushed!

Well, I guess this is what the world is coming to. Honestly though, Pontiac engines are indeed becoming harder to find in many areas and when you do find one, prices are not so reasonable most of the times. No "cheap" deals in my area. Edelbrock just announced another re-design of their aluminum head. Cost? $1,300 each head. For $2,600, I could easily build a stout carbureted small block that included a pair of aluminum heads. And, if you need engine parts when going to that long distance show, you can get them.

Should be able to get some input here, but the swap is not inexpensive, so I'll stick with my Pontiacs, or when I do give in, it'll be a 496 Big Block with tunnel ram.
Jim I feel your pain. Keep in mind this car has already being converted to pro-touring that is why I figure an Ls engine makes sense. Being the fact that car is not original why should I spend time trying to allocate a matching numbers Pontiac engine? That is the reason why my 1966 Convertible will maintain the factory matching numbers 326 pontiac engine since it is all factory matching. I just need guidance and not a "OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! chui1980 isn't goin' back with a Pontiac engine". Well I guess is right. For the taste they made the colors. Look I was gonna keep the SBC and install a Holley Fast fuel injection conversion but when I measure the odds I got this engine for 1,500.00. Hello!!!!!!!! Anybody? Help please. Jim is beating me here like a ex convict walking down the street with a loaded shotgun screaming: I am not going back to jail!!!!! Ever!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM

Garage
I get your reasoning. Looking at the "Max fuel tank capacity -100 gallons" I take it you got a truck engine? Cast iron block? These are the ones to have versus the aluminum block with liners. No doubt a lot of potential. You could tape record the exhaust sound of a really built up Pontiac 455CI, pipe it to the rear bumper via a set of Bose speakers, and then hit the switch to activate the sound when cruisin' or in a crowd and no one will know you have a Chevy under the hood until you lift it.

Should not be too big of a deal to swap in seeing you already have the small block. I would inquire on one of the many Chevy forums, like the Chevelle forums, and see what they recommend in swapping out the original type block/engine for a late model LS. Probably get a lot more info that would be helpful to you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Not all of the truck engines are cast iron. Not sure about the 2008 6.0L, but the 5.3 in my 2012 GMC is all aluminum. I know that the 4.8L built the same year is cast iron with aluminum heads (my dad's GMC). $1500 sounds like a good deal. Did you get to hear it run or was it out already? Good luck with the build!

PJ, you must work for BMW where they pipe motor noise through the speakers to give the illusion that you are still having any fun in their cars.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Not all of the truck engines are cast iron. Not sure about the 2008 6.0L, but the 5.3 in my 2012 GMC is all aluminum. I know that the 4.8L built the same year is cast iron with aluminum heads (my dad's GMC). $1500 sounds like a good deal. Did you get to hear it run or was it out already? Good luck with the build!

PJ, you must work for BMW where they pipe motor noise through the speakers to give the illusion that you are still having any fun in their cars.

OK, so not all truck engines were cast. I was referencing a Hot Rod magazine article that did a good explanation on the LS engines and blocks. It sounded like trucks had the cast blocks in them. They had a thick cylinder wall and could take overboring whereas the aluminum blocks typically did not take an overbore and you had to replace the liners instead -which was not an inexpensive proposition. Either way, an upgrade to the LS sounds like a no-brainer in getting modern technology, electronics, gas mileage, and the horsepower if that is your goal. I think the biggest plus, listening to some of the forum members, is that it gives you a car you can drive everyday where you can get over 20mpg's with 420HP on tap.

Nope, don't work at BMW, although I would not mind it as they do pay big dollars and way more than what I make. They keep expanding at the plant. I do drive past it a lot. One of our office people has an Alpina B7 based on the BMW -you gotta admit it looks good, goes fast,..........but just doesn't rumble like a Pontiac.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 AM

Garage
Found that there are quite a number of books on Amazon available on the LS swap into just about any car. I would check these out and buy a book or two which should be of great help to you in doing your swap. http://www.amazon.com/LS-Series-Engines-Almost-Anything-Design/dp/1932494812
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I am not afraid. I think the whole concept of LS swap is over rated and people put toooooo much brain into it. Yes it takes more technical approach that standard motors but hell. Lets get on it kids if does not work then what?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 PM

Chui, I feel your pain bro. I was in your shoes a couple years ago when I decided to LS my 66 Skylark. The Buick guys were borderline hostile. Since Pontiac used LS in several cars, I am surprised to see the same sentiment here.

The best approach is to read through threads on the Chevy cousin conversions since a lot of that will work on your car.

You're going to need engine stands and adapters, pick a tranny, upgrade your fuel system, figure out what you're going to replace your gauges with, get a new radiator, change your driveshaft, maybe a different oil pan and accessory drive, and get a wiring harness and a pcm tuner. Other than that, piece of cake.

Take it a step at a time beginning with getting the engine/trans combo to fit in your car. Depending on your trans selection, you may be looking at modifying your tunnel to get it to fit.

What are you putting this in?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Chui, I feel your pain bro. I was in your shoes a couple years ago when I decided to LS my 66 Skylark. The Buick guys were borderline hostile. Since Pontiac used LS in several cars, I am surprised to see the same sentiment here.

The best approach is to read through threads on the Chevy cousin conversions since a lot of that will work on your car.

You're going to need engine stands and adapters, pick a tranny, upgrade your fuel system, figure out what you're going to replace your gauges with, get a new radiator, change your driveshaft, maybe a different oil pan and accessory drive, and get a wiring harness and a pcm tuner. Other than that, piece of cake.

Take it a step at a time beginning with getting the engine/trans combo to fit in your car. Depending on your trans selection, you may be looking at modifying your tunnel to get it to fit.

What are you putting this in?
The patient at question is this guy here: 69 Lemans Custom S

His heart is healthy but I want endurance. He can dunk if I ask him to but I need him to last 4 quarters and maybe go to overtime. That is why I need and would like to install a LS2 engine. Fuel injected? Hell yeah. Factory tested HP? Why not. You see the thing is that this car is garaged but no heat. It hurts me not being able to start it everyday during winter here in NJ. Not nice. Aside of that is almost LS ready. Complete pro-touring suspension including adjustable upper and lower-rear control arms. Front tubular control arms with sway bar package. Front disc brakes, etc. I know it need to relocate mounts. Piece of cake. I know I need harness(included with purchase). I will get a programmer for it by the way. Car has all digital gauges which is a plus. fuel system? I know. Let me work on that. Tranny? I need that. It needs to be automatic so my wife can drive it. It is just for fun and not for pinks if you know what I mean

Last edited by chui1980; 03-10-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in