2dr Sedan vs. 2dr coupe confusion - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2dr Sedan vs. 2dr coupe confusion

I've been a huge fan of these cars since I was @ 10 years old and it has always been one of my bucket list cars. One came along at a price I couldn't refuse or even feel right if I tried to haggle. Anyway, I'm new to owning a 1967 Tempest so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've been doing all kinds of research and my vin tag states its a standard Tempest 2dr coupe "23307" my question is, why do my doors have full frames around the door windows? Most the cars I see on the web and at shows have no frame around the glass. Shouldn't this frame along with the quarter glass frame make it a sedan? I see no description or explaination anywhere that differentiates a coupe from a sedan. It's probably something obvious I'm missing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sedan is more of a "big car" term. The sport coupes are A.K.A. post cars (frame around windows) and the non post cars are called hardtop coupes.

The 33 series Tempest for 1967 were all post cars. You had to get the 35, 37 or 43 series to get away from the sport coupes (post).
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the explanation. Now, was only one or the other used for the GTO trim or could you have a GTO post and a GTO non post car in 1967?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 AM

For 1967 the GTO came in 3 flavors: Sport Coupe (post), Hardtop Coupe (no post), and the Convertible.

The post cars were known to weigh less, and many high performance buyers would get that body style option. The Hardtop Coupe though was in my opinion a better looking body style especially when all the windows were down and you see right through the car, very clean looking.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We bought a post coupe new in July 1967. Silver with black vinyl roof, black interior. The extra bright work around the doors made it stand out. However as a roger said, most everyone wanted the clean look of the hardtop. I vaguely recall the term "hardtop convertible" being used. In the late '50's GM made a number of 4 door cars with no posts, including station wagons.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 AM

yup...I remember hardtop convertible too...some early hardtops even had marks in the roof where the bows on a convertible would be...

my first car was a 1974 Buick LeSabre 4 door hardtop (not sedan although they made that style too) that was clean with all 4 windows down from the windshield to behind the back doors...

Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:04 AM

compare that to today's cars...perhaps one maybe two styles when back then there might be a two door post, two door hardtop, four door post and four door sedan and maybe even a wagon version...add to that there might be three or more styles from a marque within that body style (Tempest, Lemans, GTO) with varying trim levels within those trim levels...WOW

Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Silversport had a good comparison with today's cars. How many cars today or even the last 20 years that are 2 doors can have all 4 window roll down? Most rear windows are permanently up.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Wind noise....we had a 2003 Infiniti M45 4 door. Screamer. 340 hp V8. The glass was not encased in the pillars. When you opened any door, it was just like an old style hardtop. You could run your hand over the top of the class. There was a B pillar. It was completely covered in black foam insulation material. The door glass slowly tensioned up against it as the window was raised. During the short time we owned it I could hear the wind noise start to increase.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
The term Hardtop Convertible was used by GM in 1949, with the introduction of their new pillarless coupes. The car 'looked' like a convertible with the top up (no posts) and almost always had a two tone paint job to accent this. In the mid-'50's, hardtop convertible applied to even the 4 door cars and station wagons like the Buick Caballero. VERY interesting time in US automotive history. No real safety regulations, and no emisson standards. Build it like you want to. Those days are long gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in