User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
389 RPM's

Driven my 64 twice now and not sure of how hard to push it. It's a 389 3 x 2 that was professionally built less than 1000 miles ago under previous owner to the tune of $10k. Nothing wild just solid. What kind of rpm's is reasonable for a solid 389?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
5200 max for a stock engine with factory rods. Without knowing what's inside, I wouldn't push it. Also, know that these engines will wind up like a small block Chevy, but won't hold together doing it. Keep an eye on the tack and keep the revs at 5k or under. I've had these engines up to over 6500 rpm, but it is very ill advised.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it. The build was all top stuff crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, headers, etc but I'm not wanting to find out the hard way. Previous owner had tach redlined at 5,500. It gets there pretty quickly & my only current frame of reference is my LS2 which winds up a bit more, so this is a new experience...a very good one I might add. Thanks

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
If you know for certain that it has good aftermarket forged rods in it, then you don't have to be quite so cautious. Factory rods were always the weak link. Keep in mind though that Pontiacs are torque motors and they make it all on the bottom end. Depending on which cam you're running, it's probably going to be all done a good bit before 6000 anyway.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
If you know for certain that it has good aftermarket forged rods in it, then you don't have to be quite so cautious. Factory rods were always the weak link. Keep in mind though that Pontiacs are torque motors and they make it all on the bottom end. Depending on which cam you're running, it's probably going to be all done a good bit before 6000 anyway.

Bear
I agree with Bear. The truth is without more specifics, we really can't accurately answer this question.

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys I got the answer I was looking for.

The invoice shows Impastato Racing Engines Chesterfield Twp MI did the build. There's a 3 page list of work and parts. Honestly I don't know what "squared and parallel decks" even is. I know what honing is but I'm not sure about "bore hone to 4085 with plates"? I can figure out "pin fit to pistons, cut & mag crank, balance blue print & dyno"! It goes on; Diamond pistons, Eagle rods, Competition cam & lifters, Trend moly pushrods, performance oil pump, etc etc.,

Bottom line is it the 389 is not a hi rev engine and I'll treat it accordingly....if it ever quits raining! Appreciate the help!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You got ALL the goodies, but no need to push them to the limits...5500's a good number. Hope to see you and your car at the Dreamcruise...

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedog View Post
Thanks guys I got the answer I was looking for.

The invoice shows Impastato Racing Engines Chesterfield Twp MI did the build. There's a 3 page list of work and parts. Honestly I don't know what "squared and parallel decks" even is. I know what honing is but I'm not sure about "bore hone to 4085 with plates"? I can figure out "pin fit to pistons, cut & mag crank, balance blue print & dyno"! It goes on; Diamond pistons, Eagle rods, Competition cam & lifters, Trend moly pushrods, performance oil pump, etc etc.,

Bottom line is it the 389 is not a hi rev engine and I'll treat it accordingly....if it ever quits raining! Appreciate the help!
The specs you have listed above pretty much means everything was done right. "Squared and parellel decks" means the decks were cut and they were cut at the correct angle in respect to each other (90 degrees for a Pontiac). "Bore hone to 4085 with plates" means the engine was bored .030" over using a deck plates, which a plate that bolts to the head using the head bolts simulating the head being bolted on the engine. This is a better way to bore an engine because the normal distortion that is caused by the head being torqued is being duplicated by the plate. Most regular engine machine shops bore it with nothing bolted to the engine, and when the head is bolted on after it is bored, the bores aren't truly round (although the distortion is slight).

NOW - you've got me curious - Does it have the cam specs, and dyno numbers? What heads are on it? This has nothing to do with your question, I'm just curious what they did and what they used now!

It sounds like a very nice build!

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi

Last edited by 67GTO4SPD; 04-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTO4SPD View Post
The specs you have listed above pretty much means everything was done right. "Squared and parellel decks" means the decks were cut and they were cut at the correct angle in respect to each other (90 degrees for a Pontiac). "Bore hone to 4085 with plates" means the engine was bored .030" over using a deck plates, which a plate that bolts to the head using the head bolts simulating the head being bolted on the engine. This is a better way to bore an engine because the normal distortion that is caused by the head being torqued is being duplicated by the plate. Most regular engine machine shops bore it with nothing bolted to the engine, and when the head is bolted on after it is bored, the bores aren't truly round (although the distortion is slight).

NOW - you've got me curious - Does it have the cam specs, and dyno numbers? What heads are on it? This has nothing to do with your question, I'm just curious what they did and what they used now!

Sounds like a solid build! Nice find OP.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTO4SPD View Post

All I have on the cam is the part number Competition Cams xe262(either H or 11) - 10. It has the original 9770716 heads. The block is from a 64 Catalina. I have the original 76x but it is shot. (The previous owner spent a ton having it built by a less than pro outfit only to find afterwards it was full of cracks. So long story longer this time he had a real pro do it.) I don't see any dyno numbers but I'm going to see if I can get them. The list of stuff is hand written on carbon paper & some is hard to make out.
I could try to copy, scan, & send pm if you are really interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in