455; Pontiac vs Olds - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
455; Pontiac vs Olds

Hi from a newbie. I've done some creeping around the forum, and it seems like a knowledgeable crew. If I'm in the wrong forum for my question and or anticipated project, please point my in the right direction

About a year ago, I almost bought a convertible '67 le mans with a 455 in it. It was very sweet, but I pussed out. Still haven't forgiven myself, so I would like to build one on my own.

I am looking for a 67 le mans / tempest to customize. I am at the front end of this project, and don't know much about what I'm getting into, but I'm the type of guy that appreciates a project not only for the end product, but the education.

I have an OLDS 455 motor that was built up for high horse power in a jet boat. Is there any crossover genes between the Olds 455 and Pontiac? The guy that I was going to buy the Le Mans from said his Pontiac 455 bolted right in, but would I be asking for trouble to try to put the OLDS into a Pontiac? What are the differences?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM

Both Olds big-block and Pontiac engines were used in the mid-late '70's Trans Ams. It's probably not that big a project to put the Olds engine in a Lemans, but I'm not an expert.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM

I think some marine engines also rotate the other way, which would necessitate a cam change. I think the only other issue would be motor mounts and positioning. I expect you could relatively easily mate the Olds lower motor mounts to the frame by drilling some new holes and bolting them in place. Just get it straight!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Olds 455 will bolt right in any GM A-body car - the LeMans chassis is the same as the Cutlass chassis ("A" body). You will need to obtain all the Olds pulleys and accessory brackets in order to get the alternator and PS to bolt up, and you'll need the Olds Cutlass exhaust manifolds. You'll need to get '67 Cutlass 400 engine mounts for the engine, and this will bolt right up to the mounts in the 67 LeMans chassis. The Olds bellhousing pattern is the same as Pontiac, so the Pontiac tranny will bolt right up. Should be an easy swap. But for as cheap and available as Pontiac 400 engines are, I can't see any reason not to use a Pontiac engine in the Pontiac...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Lars- Thanks for the great info. Super helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars
But for as cheap and available as Pontiac 400 engines are, I can't see any reason not to use a Pontiac engine in the Pontiac...
I suppose that makes sense. But then, part of me can't help but think bigger is better.

Seems to be pretty easy to find a market to buy and sell this stuff, so I suppose I shouldn't get to bent on using what I already have.

The Pontiac 455 is bigger than the 400 (again... my knowledge is crude - I'm at the front end of my project), would there be benefits to getting a Pontiac 400 instead of a 455? (cost, parts, availabilty, durability, etc ?)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 AM

The 400 in my '66 pulls harder at high rpms than the 455 in my '70. The 455 has all the low-end torque you could ever want though. I think this is due largely to the fact that the 400 is nearly square (bore=stroke) while the 455 is over-square. Of course this needs to be qualified by the fact that the engines are built-up a bit differently and installed in cars of different weight, transmissions, rears,.....

Many of the internals are interchangeable, so I don't think there's a big difference in the costs and availability bewteen the two motors.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH
The 400 in my '66 pulls harder at high rpms than the 455 in my '70. The 455 has all the low-end torque you could ever want though. I think this is due largely to the fact that the 400 is nearly square (bore=stroke) while the 455 is over-square. Of course this needs to be qualified by the fact that the engines are built-up a bit differently and installed in cars of different weight, transmissions, rears,.....

Many of the internals are interchangeable, so I don't think there's a big difference in the costs and availability bewteen the two motors.
Thanks Dave. Low end torque is something I learned to love with my Duramax truck.

Question though.... how different do you think the two motors would sound? Assume you have the same exhaust, the 455 sounds more meaty? I'm just wondering if it is materially different sound.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No difference at all assuming cam profile and mufflers are the same. I have both 400s and 455s, and you can't tell them apart from sound.

There is a substantial difference in price bewteen 400s and 455s. Used 400s are currently selling for about half the cost of a 455.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:55 AM

There will come a time when you want to sell the car and you'll find a lot bigger market for the car if it has the Pontiac engine rather than the Olds. I think you'll find that by the time you get all the parts required to make the Olds work, you'd have spent less buying and/or building the Pontiac. Also, the F-body (Firebird) exhaust manifolds are identical to the A-body (Le Mans), so an engine out of a Firebird is a drop in.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerno
There will come a time when you want to sell the car and you'll find a lot bigger market for the car if it has the Pontiac engine rather than the Olds. I think you'll find that by the time you get all the parts required to make the Olds work, you'd have spent less buying and/or building the Pontiac. Also, the F-body (Firebird) exhaust manifolds are identical to the A-body (Le Mans), so an engine out of a Firebird is a drop in.

Stick with Poncho power if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in