455 Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Josh.AZ.GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
455 Question

If the engine was originally set up from factory as an automatic.....will it directly bolt up to a muncie 4 spd? My car was originally a 4spd and was converted over to an automatic. I want to change it back, and found a year matching 455 block for sale that was from an automatic car.

I've always assumed they could easily accept either or..but I'm not sure and that is why I'm asking.

Thank you in advance.

JR

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Josh.AZ.GTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.AZ.GTO View Post
If the engine was originally set up from factory as an automatic.....will it directly bolt up to a muncie 4 spd? My car was originally a 4spd and was converted over to an automatic. I want to change it back, and found a year matching 455 block for sale that was from an automatic car.

I've always assumed they could easily accept either or..but I'm not sure and that is why I'm asking.

Thank you in advance.

JR
The bolt pattern on the rear of the engine is the same, so no worries there. I've heard, but never personally verified, that occasionally you might find a block from an automatic car that doesn't have the driver's side "socket" for the clutch Z-bar drilled, and also - on occasion - you might find a crank that isn't drilled to accept the transmission pilot bushing. Both of those are at least worth checking before you plunk down your cash.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 4,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've heard the same about the crank/pilot bushing, never seen one though......I personally would run a hydraulic clutch, you won't need the "clutch linkage" then... E



Eric Animal is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Josh.AZ.GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
The block is a code XF and block only. If this helps for any more information.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Josh.AZ.GTO is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.AZ.GTO View Post
The block is a code XF and block only. If this helps for any more information.
Gotta start with the date code first - that's 4 characters near the distributor hole, on top of the rear of the block. Until you know what year it is, that XF doesn't tell you much.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Josh.AZ.GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
XF 0258327.

Does this help Bear?

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Josh.AZ.GTO is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.AZ.GTO View Post
XF 0258327.

Does this help Bear?
No sir, that's a sequence number used during engine manufacture - doesn't really relate to anything.

Go here: How to identify your Pontiac engine
It has an example of where to find the date code and also shows you how to decode other things.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Josh.AZ.GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
No sir, that's a sequence number used during engine manufacture - doesn't really relate to anything.

Go here: How to identify your Pontiac engine
It has an example of where to find the date code and also shows you how to decode other things.

Bear
It appears to be K139 (November 13th, 1969)

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Josh.AZ.GTO is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Well all-righty then. It's probably model year 1970 and therefore a 370 horse 455 out of a Grand Prix, but I 'spose also could be very late 69 and a 428 (both used XF). Go back to the same web site, see if you can get the 7-digit block casting number off the top rear passenger side - that'll clinch it. Also if it's a 455 you should find "455" cast into the side above the oil pan rail.
Next assignment is to ID the heads. You should be able to find antoher 4-character date code on the sides, similar format to the date code on the block. Then get the two (sometimes 3) character code from the tops of the center two exhaust ports.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Josh.AZ.GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Well all-righty then. It's probably model year 1970 and therefore a 370 horse 455 out of a Grand Prix, but I 'spose also could be very late 69 and a 428 (both used XF). Go back to the same web site, see if you can get the 7-digit block casting number off the top rear passenger side - that'll clinch it. Also if it's a 455 you should find "455" cast into the side above the oil pan rail.
Next assignment is to ID the heads. You should be able to find antoher 4-character date code on the sides, similar format to the date code on the block. Then get the two (sometimes 3) character code from the tops of the center two exhaust ports.

Bear
Unfortunately the motor is a block only with no heads. The guy who has it did say it was from a Grand Prix though. That being said I have a Pontiac 350 (1970) carb to pan. I plan on reusing the Q-Jet. Were the heads mostly interchangeable?

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Josh.AZ.GTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
455 question? tyler t 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion 55 12-13-2017 02:14 PM
Chevey 455 Engine Question RKLamb The Lounge 20 03-10-2011 02:07 PM
455 engine question Cpldavis37 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion 2 02-04-2010 09:24 AM
motor/carb question for 65 gto/70-455 rbpwrd240 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion 10 11-12-2008 08:36 AM
Exhaust question for a 1973 455 cmunson 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance 3 04-21-2008 10:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome