60 mph vibration - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
60 mph vibration

When I go over 60 mph I get a noisy vibration. I have new tires and wheels, also a new driveline. Up to 60 car runs very smooth. Anybody have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM

The new wheels/tires could have thrown a wieght. Have the tires rebalanced.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
How long have you had the car? Did it vibrate before the new tires/wheels? Or did it just start to vibrate? Need more info in order to help you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod collins View Post
When I go over 60 mph I get a noisy vibration. I have new tires and wheels, also a new driveline. Up to 60 car runs very smooth. Anybody have any suggestions?
Always suspect the last thing you changed, or something closely related to it, especially if the problem didn't exist before the change. Does "new driveline" mean new driveshaft? Suspect its balance and/or its alignment/straightness - try running the old driveshaft if you still have it and see if the problem goes away or changes significantly. Another thing that will cause a vibration like that is the pinion angle being "off" - as in the centerline through the axis of the pinion gear in the rear-end not being exactly parallel with the centerline of the crankshaft. Have you changed engine mounts? Transmission mounts? anything that might have changed one or the other of those two angles?

Bear
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I did install a tremec 5 speed. So maybe the pinion angle is off. I will check the angles before I do anything else. Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I did install a tremec 5 speed. So maybe the pinion angle is off. I will check the angles before I do anything else. Thanks for the help.
Aha! If mounting that Tremec "tilted" things, changing the output shaft/crank angle, and if you're still using the stock upper/lower control arms on the rear, I'll bet you a buck against the hole of a rolling donut that's your problem. You options would be to restore the crank/output shaft to its original angle by raising or lowering the tranny tail shaft, or to change to a set of adjustable upper control arms on the rear. Dunno what you're goals are for the car or your budget, but going with a set of adjustable uppers like these that have the fully articulated joints on the chassis end has another benefit: they don't bind like the factory ones do. The geometry of the triangulated rear control arms is such that as the rear end moves through its range of motion, going up and down and ESPECIALLY when rolling in a cornering situation, the upper control arms must twist on their bushings. Putting aftermarket polyurethane bushings at these points actually makes the problem worse because they're harder to deform, and that prevents the axle from being able to freely move throughout the full range of motion. Personally, I like Spohn because of their quality and price, but there are many sources for upper arms with front joints that don't bind.

Bear
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I had to shorten my driveshaft when I installed my Tremec.

If you did'nt do that it could be in a bind. If you did shorten it, was it "phased" correctly? The original orientation of the yokes must be maintained or it will create an imbalance.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Here's a link with some pictures that describes the procedure, shows a tool that can be used, and also explains what causes the vibration. There are many sources for this information, and some of the procedures are different. They're all shooting for the same goal of making the centerlines of the pinion and the transmission/crank parallell with each other.

Bear
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I finally got to setting my pinion angle. That seemed to fix the problem. I do have the adjustable upper control arms which made the job easier.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I finally got to setting my pinion angle. That seemed to fix the problem. I do have the adjustable upper control arms which made the job easier.
Bingo!

Glad that you were able to get it corrected.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in