User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
63 Lemans I'm looking at

I just found a restored 63 Lemans convertible for sale, price seams right. Just trying to pick some brains, see what others know about it. It has the 4 cylinder, 389 cut in half. Also has the Corvair transaxle, rear mounted tranny in IRS. And a torque tube and rope flexible drive shaft. The car is restored and needs nothing.
I know it won't be a rocket, just a cool cruiser, and I have a 389/400 to put in it.
How rare are these cars, guy told me less than 1000 built, hmm.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There were 15,957 Lemans convertibles built in 63 and 8,744 of those were equipped with the 4 cylinder engine.

The Tempest/Lemans (Y-body) was sold from 61-63 and only the 63 model offered the 326, There were about a dozen that were converted to a super duty and raced by several drag racers in the 60's and 70's.

The movie "My Cousin Vinny" featured a Metalic Mint Green 63 Tempest Lemans Convertible as being the car driven by the guys who murdered a store clerk,

Randy

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info GTO, good stuff. I'm still on the fence about the car, but would be a nice edition to my little collection. The car was also a unibody.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's the link to the car, but it's local and I've seen it. It has a couple small bodywork cracks, looks great, straight body, excellent interior and trunk, runs great, but I haven't driven it.
Pontiac : Le Mans: eBay Motors (item 270638876634 end time Sep-29-10 11:55:42 PDT)
Let me know if you think it's worth the money, I think it's good, but not a musclecar. Nada is 10-27K, and this is in really good shape, almost high retail.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Nice car, I looked at a rusted out 326 basket case a few years ago and the guy wanted 6K, that's not a bad deal especially for a convertible.

Randy

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The car is really that nice, straight body panels, 1 small crack in the top of the wheel arch, and you can see where they molded in the rear fill panels. But, the car is show ready, including under the car. I didn't see any rust anywhere on the car. Supposedly it's a Virginia car that the guy bought a Z06 and they used it for trade in. The FL dealership sent someone to Virginia to get the car and they drove it down here. It runs great, and price is right.
Mixed thoughts, I can get a nice C3 corvette for the money, or a 4 cylinder Pre gto lemans for the price, hmm. Please help, can I make money on this car? I feel this car would of went for big bucks a couple years ago, now it is a good investment, and just have to wait for the economy to come back. Or stick a 400 in it and build a early musclecar?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Garage
Here's my 2 cents....

That '63 LeMans does nothing for me. The styling is bland, the engine is bland, the whole package, aside from the drop top, screams bland. I don't see much upside in it now or in the future.

I do watch many auction shows on tv. Barrett Jackson, Mecum, etc... I was a bit stunned at how cheap some cars were recently. Some cars will always command top dollar, but a '63 LeMans with a 4 cylinder...? I don't see it.

If you want to buy it and then put a 400 in it to make it a sleeper/fun car, then I say go for it. But if you'd rather have a C3 'vette instead, I think there's more upside there. In my opinion, the C3's are the sexiest 'vettes ever.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
In my opinion, the C3's are the sexiest 'vettes ever.

I disagree with that remark

Allan
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm with Al T on the vette, 63-67s are best ever. I was saying C-3 because of the price range. I'm thinking the same thing about the 63, it wouldn't be all that fun to drive, like driving a Corvair.. It is really nice, but the dealership has been trying to sell it for 2 months and cant.
Appreciate the imput.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not getting this car. If anyone else is interested in the car, I can vouch for it. It is really nice, complete car that runs and drives. Fresh restoration and everything is in really good shape. Looks to be rust free and all panels are straight, great bang for the buck..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in