64 GTO Wind Noise - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
64 GTO Wind Noise

I bought a 1964 GTO last spring. Original 4-bbl 3-speed car that was swapped for a 400 4-speed. Added limited slip and a pretty low gear rear end. Car runs great! I had the suspension rebuilt and added a 3 core aluminum radiator. Additionally I added a fan cowl. During my recent road test I noticed really load wind noise from the front of the car north of 65 mph. Since this is my first GTO, I have no baseline. Do these cars typically have a lot of wind noise? Any chance the fan cowl could be the cause of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
These cars typically lose tension at the wing window levers, and you'll get wind noise through the seal. You can repair the latch to tighten it up or slip a dime between it and the frame and see if it lessens the noise. The side glass seals get hard, as do the door seals. I've been in and around these cars for decades, and, in good condition and in stock form, you do have to raise your voice to have a conversation at 70+ due to wind noise. These are not aerodynamic cars, and do not have flush mount glass.....lots of nooks and crannies to trap air at speed. The noisiest car I've ever driven due to wind noise was a '60 Lincoln Continental. The one with the slanted headlights. TONS of wind noise....like a Chinese Pagoda going down the highway. The use of new weatherstrip and new sound deadeners like Dynamat can really help.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. Thought it was the belts at first, but noticed it was consistent at around 70 mph and up. Planning on door/window seals in the spring and I'll check out the dynamat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in