65 exhaust splitters - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 exhaust splitters

I have a 1965 GTO with the Pypes 2.5" exhaust system. I've been looking for stainless exhaust splitters that appear stock and can't find what I'm looking for. The ones from Pypes that would fit look like Trans Am splitters and reproductions from other companies like Year One only come in 2". Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Dennis Kirban reproduced the early GTO exhaust splitters in the mid 80's. Quite a bit of work went into the tooling. PY & Ames sold his repro's for decades. Believe that tooling is still being used, as have picked up several pair of the splitters over the years with no discernable change. Have never ran across such a intricately design exhaust splitter in a larger diameter inlet. Necking down to the repro splitters shouldn't cost you any measurable torque/hp, do understand the installation won't be as clean.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. Really wish Pypes made a better splitter. Thank you for the info. Now I need to find a good shop to do the work...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I've had Trans Am splitters on my '65 since about 1990.....2.5", too. Running Hedman headers and 2.5" exhaust.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm just not a fan of the way the Trans Am style look. The angles don't seem to follow the body lines like the originals. If that makes any sense.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I purchased the splitters from Ames, part #137P . IMO they look good for repro's. I just put car wax on them couple times during the cruising season and then just wipe the dust off every now and then. I'm trying to post pictures so that you can see them on a GTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Splitters.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	93497   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Splitters 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	93505  

Last edited by Goat Roper; 07-08-2017 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Looks good Steve, I added the pics for you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:42 AM

I'd recommend necking down to 2" just before the splitter and using the best original style you can find. Exhaust volume shrinks a great deal as it cools and if you think of what exhaust temps are at the header compared to tailpipe you'll realize you are dropping 100's of degrees. So by the time the exhaust is back by the rear wheels dropping down a size will have no significant effect on performance.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Guess it's time to awaken this thread! I'm going to put splitters on my 65 and wonder if there is a known measurement where they should be located? Say "X" amount of inches from the rear of the wheel well to the first down pipe perhaps? Would like to get in the best possible location for the stock look. Any thoughts appreciated!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihaditback View Post
Guess it's time to awaken this thread! I'm going to put splitters on my 65 and wonder if there is a known measurement where they should be located? Say "X" amount of inches from the rear of the wheel well to the first down pipe perhaps? Would like to get in the best possible location for the stock look. Any thoughts appreciated!
The Restoration Guide shows the dimension taken off the special & longer exhaust replacement hanger/bracket Part #9776488 that replaces the standard dual exhaust hanger and mounts in the same hole on the frame that the standard hanger mounts.

Rest exhaust strap on pipe. Measure 1 1/2" from front edge of exhaust strap rearward and cut tail pipe. Assemble splitter extension onto cut tail pipe and assemble clamp, U-bolt, & nuts. It appears the shorter of the splitter tubes should measure 1/2" below the quarter panel to edge of tube (which may direct the splitter to its proper rotation/exit angle?). The longer splitter tube appears to hang down a little lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in