User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 GTO ID help

Hey Guys new here

I just looked at a 65 whats supposed to be a GTO. The car has been sanded on and a few patches put on the lower quarters. Looks to be a decent car. I have had a 66 and 71 but the 65 ID codes seem to be a different story.

Here is what I have any help will be good.

Vin 237675P354426

Data plate under hood

07C 1
st 65-23767
PON13726
tr 213-b
w 2wp
4f
5w
45-2
c2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM

The 23767 indicates a Convertible Lemans. It is possible it was a GTO. On the 65s the best way to check is through PHS. If the car has had lower quarter patches, beware. If the seem was cut below the original spot where the GTO emblem was you could sand the metal down and verify only 3 holes (or maybe 2...it was a much smaller emblem). The lemans got about 2 holes per letter, where the gto only had 3 holes. Look for the console and higher options. GTO's typically came with more options, but there are still low option ones there.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the car this evening and got the numbers, I will go back and look at it again. I here talk about the 5nw in the data plate this car just has a 5w.

The PHS document is good but when a deal comes up who has time to get it before the car gets sold. I only have a day or two to make a move before it gets gone.

I noticed some 65 Lemans have louvers at the bottom of the front fenders. Is this a Lemans only item or did some GTO's have that.

Just looking for some more area's to check. I think only lower quarters where done. I will check the holes

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 AM

I just bought a 65 gto not more than a month ago myself. And I did quite a bit of research before buying the car.

If the car was made in Pontiac (and this one was), there must be an 'N' present in the last line after the '5'. Ex: 5NW (manual trans) or 5N.

I'm not an expert though..
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyzstze View Post
I just bought a 65 gto not more than a month ago myself. And I did quite a bit of research before buying the car.

If the car was made in Pontiac (and this one was), there must be an 'N' present in the last line after the '5'. Ex: 5NW (manual trans) or 5N.

Coyzstze is 100% correct, on the Pontiac and Kansas City built cars the GTO option is listed on the data plate with the 5N otherwise the car is a lemans.

Randy

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
The PHS docs can be faxed if you're in a big hurry. I always found it best to move quickly on a "good deal", but never to get in so much of a hurry as to get burned. Get the PHS if in doubt. Cheap insurance. And no, the GTO's did not have the fender louvres.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM

No fender louvres on GTOs' Aluminium tag on drivers door shut for ID. Check drivetrain for being GTO spec 389 rather than 326 check codes' posi trac etc.. The VIN will confirm everything for sure. Clones are on the market and some very good ones If its substantial bucks dont rush
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
No fender louvres on GTOs' Aluminium tag on drivers door shut for ID. Check drivetrain for being GTO spec 389 rather than 326 check codes' posi trac etc.. The VIN will confirm everything for sure. Clones are on the market and some very good ones If its substantial bucks dont rush
Where is the drivetrain tag,, The vin tag is where the door pins are in correct location. The engine I know is not orginal its a later 400 the car has a 4spd in it but I do not know if thats orginal. It had floor pan work so that throws out wether it was cut or not.

One other thing I noticed was no tach or clock just a dummy spot. I think I can buy some time on this before possible purchase. The car needs work but its a driver and comes with new interior and top.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyzstze View Post

What you are telling me if the car was made in Pontiac it should say

5N or 5NW

5NW means manual trans
does 5N mean Auto

What does the 5W stand for that this one has
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 PM

It means it's a not a gto, and it came from the factory with a manual transmission.

5 = 1965
N = GTO option
W = Manual Trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in