65 gto question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 gto question

Just wondering if it was possible to have a 65 GTO special ordered back in the day, in whatever exterior and interior color you wanted? The reason im asking is because my father and I have yet to find another GTO like his, the original exterior color is Mayfair maize and the interior color is red. the car is a sports coupe, 389 with tri-power,4 speed. From what I can tell that color combination wasn't even available that year.

Thanks Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baahhhh View Post
Just wondering if it was possible to have a 65 GTO special ordered back in the day, in whatever exterior and interior color you wanted? The reason im asking is because my father and I have yet to find another GTO like his, the original exterior color is Mayfair maize and the interior color is red. the car is a sports coupe, 389 with tri-power,4 speed. From what I can tell that color combination wasn't even available that year.

Thanks Billy
Anything's possible. Depsite the fact that Pontiac discontinued the TriPower for the 67 model year, there are known cases where dealers installed them for customers using parts out of inventory.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
there are cases i heard of where cars had been painted non GTO colors for dealer family and such, also GM employees there is a special paint code also that was open. you should order the PHS documentation thats the only way to tell, it should list special paint option along with the color. i will check what the cowl tag code is for special color, just saw it in an article.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 PM

If the paint code is 00 that means it was a special order paint or the car was painted Tiger Gold.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Have have read there was a number of colors that could be ordered .With SPEC. or 22 on the data plate as well as the O
I beleave all the colors came out at the same time as when the Tiger Gold was released.
Hope that helps
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
thats what the article said cowl tag "left blank" and Purchase order reading "Special paint" with no reference to color. car in article was Verado Green 67', which was a firebird only color until 68'
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Baahhhh's car isn't a special paint car. It's a standard GTO color. What is special is the red interior, which IMO, would look great with the Mayfair Maize paint. There's a raggedy '66 on ebay that's got a paint code of "12".....turns out it's factory '66 Corvette Sunfire Yellow. Looks like a big bananna! There was a Burgundy '65 on ebay with a factory gold interior (weird but correct) and my in-law had a Starlight Black '67 Lemans ragtop with a gold interior and a white top. Verdoro Green '67's are sometimes seen, too. Lots of options, and lots of custom orders back in the day. There is a '64 GTO for sale in Texas currently, which was ordered with auto on the column, AC, bench seat, and a TEMPREST interior. It's actually pretty cool looking. Weird, but "correct". I always though that a Verdoro Green '64 or '65 convertible would look nice, with the Parchment interior.......
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Baahhhh's car isn't a special paint car. It's a standard GTO color. What is special is the red interior, which IMO, would look great with the Mayfair Maize paint. There's a raggedy '66 on ebay that's got a paint code of "12".....turns out it's factory '66 Corvette Sunfire Yellow. Looks like a big bananna! There was a Burgundy '65 on ebay with a factory gold interior (weird but correct) and my in-law had a Starlight Black '67 Lemans ragtop with a gold interior and a white top. Verdoro Green '67's are sometimes seen, too. Lots of options, and lots of custom orders back in the day. There is a '64 GTO for sale in Texas currently, which was ordered with auto on the column, AC, bench seat, and a TEMPREST interior. It's actually pretty cool looking. Weird, but "correct". I always though that a Verdoro Green '64 or '65 convertible would look nice, with the Parchment interior.......
Yeah the color combo looks really nice but weird to, ill try to get some pics up if a few days.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 PM

My car was supposedly ordered. Now, it's not really "custom" since everything is normal on it. But they didn't have the car my mom wanted on the lot, so she ordered this one and waited for it. It was built in Fremont, shipped to Boise, she picked it up there and drove it back to the San Diego Naval base where she was stationed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Ghosttown, My '65 GTO was built in Fremont, shipped to Spokane, sold in Spokane, and by 1966 was in the Sunnyvale/San Jose CA Bay area, where it stayed. Funny how these cars were built here, shipped north, and returned here almost immediately.. I'm sure glad it happened that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in