User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 GTO what to look for?

Howdy everyone

Trying to get up to speed on older pontiacs and gto's i came across one recently looking at old land cruisers. I predominately work middle east so the old toyotas are doable with searching anyhow.. pointers in what to look for? I know vin verification

Will visit saturday to view what seems to be 65 GTO body is unreal condition first thought when i realized what it was "you shouldn't be here"

Interior is very nice, or it seems like new it has a hurst shifter in floor looks to be converted from column maybe as i can see holes in column where shift lever would have been

Asking for pointers or any definite red flags to observe for

I will have VIN on saturday with interior / engine bay photos

Car is very dirty in pic it really doesnt do it justice on how nice body looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_125907.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	120951  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
This question has been asked a hundred times. If you do a Google Custom Search using the box in the upper right hand corner of the forum and type in 1965 GTO VIN, you should get a bunch of hits and pull up the info you need to know. Confirmation is done by purchasing the build documents for the VIN of the car through PHS services.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @PontiacJim

Lots of reading phs was closed for a few days so i will hit them up this week

Odd enough still not quite sure who owns the vehicle i do have the vin now though

From what i can make out

J6E 2
65-23737 PON45815
218-B
W 2WP
5W

Will use phs and then track owner through car tag car has been in sale lot for months if not longer possible price was 16kish after conversion, but that was from someone i can't confirm is the owner

On a lighter note i did come across a 65 lincoln continental in real nice condition closest english speaker said it had been stored last 3yrs with csrb issue kind of weird white w/blue interior but still had dealer emblem glacier valley baraboo, wi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:11 PM

From what I understand there should be a N in the trim tag for example the 5W should have a N in that area. My 65 has 5NW.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The GTO was an option on the Tempest the 64 & 65 year models. A couple of good tips to know if it’s a real GTO is to make sure there is a 5N on the vin plate and that the car was built either in the Pontiac Michigan plant with a P or Pon or at the Fremont California plant with a Fre on the vin plate. These cars were only built in one of these two plants. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is off a 65 gto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA712142-F1FC-4D0E-838E-C0770D5492B1_1567899370690.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	121081  

Salinas ca
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like it’s the real deal. Made in the first week of May 1965 and was originally Cameo ivory. I am not sure what the W denotes after the 5N designation. There are several websites that have code deciding tools that should tell you the full story. Check it around the rear wheel wells and front fender lips and around the trunk by the bumper for rust. Check the trunk floor and quarter panels for rust too and the floorboard of course. Make sure the car is complete as possible as not all parts are in reproduction. The engine will not have a vin number stamped in it as that didn’t start until around 1967 but it will have a casting date in the block behind the distributor and that should be a few weeks before the May build date. PHS can give you the full story.
Good luck and let me know if I can help. I am just finishing a ground up restoration on my 65 2 door post car and it’s been quite an epic and expensive adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in