66 389 Tri-Power - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 389 Tri-Power

I know it has most likely been ask before, but i'm new here and new to my GTO. So the question is; does anyone make an aftermarket tri-power intake carb set up or do i need to look for an original, because all i seem to be finding online is rebuilt originals. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The answer to that is maybe. Ames and PY has them. Ames was waiting on carbs. PY sold me one. Search threads started by me and you'll find the problems I had. I'm happy but minor things can get ya frustrated.

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM

Garage
There are some excellent re-builders out there also.....I beleive Richard Boneske rebuilds trips. He is a member here and on PY forum. Beautiful 66 by the way!! Eric

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, you sent me in the right direction. I really want to get the tri set up, but my makor worry, once i get the intake and carbs is setting them up properly. I have read its easy to set them up wrong. Know of any good guides to properly setting them up? THanks again.

Current setup:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Not much to it. Set the center carb like any two barrel. Set the progressive linkage to open the front and rear to your liking and drive.

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

awesome, well ill update as i progress. Thanks again. Glad people are so willing to be helpful!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 AM

The aftermarket intake is questionable , as i have had 3 bad ones 4th. was acceptable . Turn manifold upside down lay intake gaskets on , align to the bolt holes and see what you got . The 1 side was good the other was terrible as the gasket parting line from port / port was into the next port by 1/4" . That is the approx. distance between the ports to begin with , the bolt holes were fine . Most people lay the gaskets on the head , drop manifold from top , done . Line up the gaskets on everything . As for the carbs. make a set of block off plates for the end carbs start engine running off ctr. carb. only . If it runs good then add the end carbs. if starting to run worse end carbs. are pulling air in through the throttle plates , must be sealed or you will have low vacuum etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your still looking for a Tri-Power set complete, you could try Greg Spritzer in Painesville Ohio. According to the records I have for my '65, that is where the restorer got my '68 tri-power complete.

As far as I can tell, he is a GM car dealer that used to be a Pontiac supplier as well. I absolultely love the '68 tri-power on my '65.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Garage
Johnny, I would look for a 1966 tri-power set up for your car. 65 had a bit smaller carb. Originals are around, and so are the parts, and skills to rebuild them. Eric

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
And with the '66 tripower, inspect the intake carefully around the center carburetor ports. They are prone to crack, due to the choke stove location/application on the '66. A agree, an original '66 unit is probably the best choice for performance and reliability. I've had less issues with tuning tripower's over the years than 4 barrel'c oon these cars. They are a simple, effective system that works very well on stock to medium build cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in