66 GTO LS1 swap - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 GTO LS1 swap

I am currently debating pulling the trigger on a 66 GTO. Body is straight no rust on the bottom and it is running. It seems to be the original motor just with an aftermarket 4 barrel on there now.

I would like to do a motor swap and put in an LS1 motor, but I don't want to destroy the value. Am I better off find a GTO without a motor already, or would you guys take this motor out and put in an LS1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM

It would be your car, do what makes you happy. Just don't pay top dollar for a pristine car. You could always save the motor to sell with the car if it is numbers matching, but even those cars usually bring south of $40k.

It doesn't have nitrous. It has cubic inches.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'll say up front that I detest Pontiacs with LS's, so keep that in mind.

If you care about preserving value, the best option is to keep it Pontiac powered. What's got you thinking about a swap?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM

They used a Tempest and welded on gto panels for the movie XXX cars. There are really nice tempest out there for a lot less than an original gto.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
An LS swap, unless it's done correctly (about 20k) will destroy the value. You are better off buying a roller car with no drivetrain and building it. Even then, I personally wouldn't touch a GTO that had been converted to LS power. It's against my values. I have to ask: how much wheel time do you have in an early GTO? I've been driving them for over 35 years, and am very pleased with the way the 389's and 400's run. Most guys I talk to who want to do an LS swap have never driven an early GTO that was in good condition and well sorted out. Therefore, they are unaware of the capabilities of a genuine Strato Streak engine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought the car this evening. My original plan was to do an LS swap on the car. However, I am rethinking the position. I have never owned or driven a restored GTO. Honestly, I just have always loved the body and styling of the 66 and had the opportunity and pulled the trigger.

Here is the link to the car I just bought this evening. I go to pick it up on Sat. Below is the link. As the experts I would really like your opinions and thoughts on the car. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

1966 GTO Barn Find 2 Dr H T 242 Code Restoration Started Than Abandoned | eBay
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Looks like a good car for the $ and if there really is no rust in the quarters or rockers than you can make it into whatever you want and probably still get your money back. There can be so many gremlins that its hard to know what you are getting yourself into. Did you get a chance to inspect it in person?

It doesn't have nitrous. It has cubic inches.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Well I have the VIN number but not the number on the block. I spoke with the owner and we are still unsure if that motor is the one that came with the car.

The VIN is 242176g124709 That would be a 66 GTO 2 door hard top VIn manufactured in Framingham, MA. However, how do I figure out if the BB that is in there now was the original?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"I'll say up front that I detest Pontiacs with LS's, so keep that in mind."
So keep that in mind Bear will not buy your car. Nor any other Pontiac purist for that matter. I will play devils advocate here LS swap done correctly makes a great combination of reliability and ability to easily upgrade the performance of the motor. Yes I will agreed that if you have a high valued numbers matching GTO dont do it, also dont upgrade brakes, suspension,transmission,cooling system, paint or anything if you want a historically correct vehicle. But if you are building the car for yourself do what YOU want, the reason the resto mod movement is so popular is because people want modern drive ability. If I had the $$$ I would get a schwartz performance Schwartz Performance | The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis chassis with a twin turbo ls-7, independant rear end, huge disc brakes and just drop my body on it. Total modern performance with the old school classic lines is a formula that can not be beat.
The car you bought looks like a good deal for the $$- seems like almost everything is there and if its really rust free then you scored. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build no matter what you decide to do.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I think you did well on the car. One of my favorite color combos. Very sharp on a '66. Hopefully you won't paint it resale red. Solid, heavy lifting already done. Has a 3.55 performance gear and a TH400: quick combo, not great for highway. If it were mine, I would: have Jim Lehert or Butler Performance set me up with a stroker kit for the 389, install Ram Air exhaust manifolds, install an overdrive automatic trans (220r4/700r/4, etc), install Legendary seat covers (if needed) and drive it. I would leave the paint alone for now, and not blow the car apart . Get it running and driving. You can upgrade the brakes and suspension as you go. If you ultimately do decide to go LS, look at Crusty's build carefully. He did it very well. I have found that the old Pontiac V8's are as reliable as the LS motor. No less. And for me, putting an LS in an early GTO is like putting a Hyabusa engine in a '47 Indian Chief: more modern, but the soul of the machine is lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in