66 GTO Remote Drivers Mirror - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
66 GTO Remote Drivers Mirror

My car has one of these with the remote control deal that goes in front of the window crank. I got my build sheet and window sticker from PHS, so it came on the car apparently. I've never seen these before, though the specific ones on the car may be aftermarket. All of the GTOs I have seen have chrome mirrors, mine are plastic or at least appear to be. I have contemplated putting the chrome mirrors on because I think they look better when I do my body work, but if they are super rare or something I would keep them .

Anybody know anything about these?

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
If it had the remote mirror option it will only have a single drivers side mirror as the did not make a passengers side to match the remote one. If they are plastic they were added all mirrors were chrome in 66'. I don't like not having a passengers side rear view but mine was optioned with the remote and if i switch i will have to drill the passenger door for a mirror.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Garage

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I too, agree. No plastic mirrors in '66.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM

actually wondering what the sport mirrors would look like on a 66' do you have any pics. Thought for a brief moment about doing them but i do want to keep The Tempest at least looking "right" even though its a mishmash of Pontiac parts throughout the years, now on a resto-mod it might work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Is the remote drivers mirror a rare option? I've never seen one before my car. I'm probably going to go to a non-remote setup on both sides or go back to how it should've been with the one chrome drivers mirror.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM

don't think its rare enough to effect value, and as you are resto modding it anyways its really up to you to decide what you want the finished product to look like. If i was not trying to keep the car "Original" in appearance i think i would have switched to a dual mirror set up for drivabilty as the rear view from the windshield has a lot of blind spots with the recessed rear glass. I also don't like that the mirror is so far forward on the door that the vent window is in front of it (probably because of window track clearance on the inner cable). For a resto mod i would think a later model sport mirror set would look sharp on a 66'-67' IMHO, but not so much on a stock looking car....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
The remote control (cable adjust) driver's side mirror is fairly common. My convertible has one, and several of the GTO's I used to own had one. I've seen a lot of them over the years. Not a big deal......I have no preference of the remote mirror over the standard mirror like my '65 has.....the standard ones are a little cleaner looking, IMO....but then, I'm the guy who HATES continental kits on '50's cars....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
actually wondering what the sport mirrors would look like on a 66' do you have any pics. Thought for a brief moment about doing them but i do want to keep The Tempest at least looking "right" even though its a mishmash of Pontiac parts throughout the years, now on a resto-mod it might work.
I'll take some decent ones for you when I am back in town.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The remote control (cable adjust) driver's side mirror is fairly common. My convertible has one, and several of the GTO's I used to own had one. I've seen a lot of them over the years. Not a big deal......I have no preference of the remote mirror over the standard mirror like my '65 has.....the standard ones are a little cleaner looking, IMO....but then, I'm the guy who HATES continental kits on '50's cars....
I agree that the standard ones are better looking than what I have, the continental kits are the hard tire cover things, right? I hate those too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in