User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
66 GTO weird shutting off while driving issue

Hi Guys! So recently, while driving at highway speeds the car just shuts off like you turned the key off. sometimes as I'm costing to the side of the road it
"Catches" and continues running without issue. This past Sunday on the highway again it died and after 15 -20 minutes it restarted and ran for about half a mile and died again on the exit ramp. Luckily I was able to coast to a gas station and get it safely off the road. Called Hagerty and waited for the tow. Just for the heck of it after 25 min. I started it and ran it at a higher idle for a few minutes and it ran PERFECT the rest of the day. Last night trying to take my grankids to a local car show it died again, it would restart after 15-20 and run for 30 seconds or so. This time flat bedded home and of course when it was off the truck it restarted and I put it in the garage.
I recently had switched to Petronics Ignition with Flame Thrower Coil.
Gas tank gooseneck vent is venting perfectly
Before I went out last night I switched to a Clear Fuel filter so I could determine if fuel was being pumped. I had my daughter crank it a bit and there was no real stream entering the filter. But why would it start after a bit?
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Rick

1966 GTO tri-power 4 speed competition-plus, Tubuler Automotive competition headers. 58 thousand miles. Owned since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There was another member here, (cannot find it at this moment) that experienced the same problem. He switched back to regular points and never had the problem again. YMMV (Will post it if I can find it) :-)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks!

1966 GTO tri-power 4 speed competition-plus, Tubuler Automotive competition headers. 58 thousand miles. Owned since 1969

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi,
I was the guy. Had the exactly the same issue... Very weird because the car ran fine for two years before this without an issue. I put the points distributor back in and no more problems. I am still running the Pertronix coil, so the problem had to be in the module. Pertronix was no help with their tech service, took a week to get back to me and told me it was "low voltage"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
In hot weather you could be experiencing vapor lock, where the suction side of the fuel pump while creating a vacumn to suck the fuel lowers the boiling point of the gas....pump cannot pump vapor car stalls.

If your car cools and then cranks gas will then pump to the carb bowls and restart...so the main question here is do you have a return line from your fuel pump or carb to the tank and is it hooked up all the way.?....you may see one but it could be plugged off at the gas tank.

If that is not the case, then low voltage is a common problem on Petronix. The normal wiring for points has a ballast resistance wire that drops power to the coil so points won’t burn up to 9 volts or so, Petronix can run on that but unreliable so.

An ez fix is with a relay on the firewall, and simple hookup. Check the Petronix web for that info or recall the tech line and ask about putting in a relay.

The gap on the magnet ring on petronix and the grounds are critical as well......

Good luck..let us know how you do
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem caused by distributor module going bad. Might also check the leads on the pickup coil since it constantly moves with vacuum advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in