User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 Lemans: First time out of shed in 6 yrs

Hello all!

The bad news is that my 66 Lemans has been in my shed for the last 6 years, and I have not been starting it.

The good news is, I have decided now is the time to get her running again! Last night I pumped up the tires, tonight I pushed her outside, Saturday morning I'll give her a good washing, and then I'll work on getting her running again...

I am so excited, I can barely stand it! I had "forgotten" my love for Pontiacs for a long while, but taking that dusty car cover off got my blood racing again.

Here are the first pics of the Poncho, seeing sunlight for the first time in years:

Brian B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Brian
welcome to the forum, and welcome back to Pontiacs...looks pretty good, hope the coons or mice did'nt get inside it. i am doing a Tempest and after i seen the tailpanel chrome on the Lemans, i had to have it, i was able to find a nice one for mine. This is a great place for help and information, and we all like pics. These old Injun's have a way of making your heart race, never met a group of guys who were so passionate about their cars.

heres mine

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/

Brian B. also....LOL
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Super clean looking car, vinyl top is even good and don't see many bubbles. That should be a fun ride. Should be a fun summer of cruising!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys...

It was about 70 degrees here in SC today, but I was so slammed at work I couldn't take any time off. I was dying to get out there and wash her off.

But, before dark tonight, I was able to go out and start cleaning the interior. Seats were musty, but cleaned off like a champ. Wow, I had forgotten such killer details such as the '66 horn button: chrome Pontiac arrowhead on a deep turquoise background...killer!

I look forward to chatting on this forum with you fellow Tin Indian freaks.

Brian
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beautiful car, I love those tail lamps. It's sad that it's been sitting for so long.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 AM

good looking car. glad to see it back in action soon.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok, another update...

As expected, today was one of the first 70+ degree days here, so I spent the morning cleaning the Lemans:
- Cleaned the interior (vinyl seats cleaned up well, lots of mildew...)
- Windows
- Full carwash
- Tires & wheels
- Chrome

All in all, the car is in pretty good shape given how long she has been stored. There were a few rust spots which have gotten worse (rear quarter, lower door, trunk molding area, etc. But all in all I am pleased.

Unfortunately, I'm going out of town on business, so once I got her washed, I rolled her back into the shed and put the cover back on, to protect from rain while I'm gone!

But when I return, I'm gonna try and get her running. Probably will change fluids (oil, gas, coolant), put in new plugs, etc. Any suggestions on what to do before starting a car that hasn't been started in a long while?

Thanks
Brian
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
lookin good Brian, how many miles does that motor have on it? After 6 years i am guessing all the oil has drained down and left everything gummed up. one of the motor guys should have a good routine for starting her back up, may want to pull the dizzy and pump the oil back up after changing fluids so you dont put excessive wear on it cranking to start. A good carb cleaning would not hurt either as i am sure it has varnish on it. may get away with putting some 93 octane on top of whats in the tank as far as the gas goes.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The car cleaned up really nice man, keep us posted.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Very nice! Even has A/C. I would put a little oil in the cylinders before you leave. New gas for sure.

I have started cars that have sat for over 20 years. I run them around by hand with a socket first to make sure it isn't locked up. I have seen locked up cars run with diesel put in the cylinders for a while. You turn the engine back and forth till freed up. then even ran with no trouble.

Good friend did it to a 73 mustang notchback with a 351 cleveland. It was locked tight. After a couple weeks with the cylinders full of diesel he worked it back and forth till it was free. Changed every thing, fluid, tune up, rebuilt carb and drove it for a couple years. He got it from another guy at work we knew for $300 buck because he thought it was done for. When he was told how it was freed and only took under $100 to fix he was pissed.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in