66 Lemans trans cooler lines - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
66 Lemans trans cooler lines

guys, can some one take a peek at their 66 lemans GTO or tempest with an auto trans....do the trans cooler lines go over or under the sway bar on original setup?

And two is the upper cooler line on trans the one that goes to drivers side of the radiator?

A Hanse should tell, I want to set them back right and not mess up the two new lines.....don't want to bend them up and kink them trying to get it right!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Correction......a glance should tell.....sorry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm replacing them in my 66 gto also. From what I see they should go above the sway bar. I have mine installed all the way back to the transmission, also staying with 2 speed automatic. Not sure on exactly which one goes to which, I've been told it doesn't matter, which ever fits easiest? I'm am trying to figure out which fitting goes into the transmission? Can you describe or send me a picture of the fittings that your lines screw into prior to going in the transmission? Do a search on google for pontiac restoration guide page 297. it states inlet and outlet, but the quote I got from a guy is the oil really doesn't care which way its flowing?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

FT; Thanks yes I believe you are right, above the sway bar. since the fittings are both on the bottom of the 66 radiator it may not matter on the trans. I have heard the top on trans goes to driver side on radiator but have not confirmed that. Yes the 2 speed, Pontiac automatic is what I have. I am reusing the brass fittings that were in the trans for the new lines on my TH350. They are unique they are about 2 inches long have a National Pipe Straight Machine (NPSM) I believe that is right,... into the trans. Than a 3/8 female fitting for the steel line. I hear they are only used for trans on GM of the era, worse thing is they later changed all the lines to 5/16th's. Do you still have the 2 speed brass fittings?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately my lines were all modified. Both were cut and spliced back together. Both fittings were as you said NPSM threads with a brass washer. One of the was brass about a 1/2 inch long which was leaking because you couldn't get a wrench on it to tighten it hit against the transmission. The other was a steel fitting same threads but about 3 inches long. So no I don't have one that is correct. I have called everywhere, no one can confirm exactly what it is supposed to be. I took what I had to a shop that makes lines, they didn't have the NPSM threads, but gave me a tapered thread and said it would work? No one remakes the fittings? Thanks for the info, if you get a chance to snap a photo I would appreciate seeing what yours are. I checked my book it looks like the top hole is your intake hole and I think from the picture that is your shorter line that runs to the passenger side of your car. I checked some other pictures, the lines definitely are to be above the sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in