66 overheating and pinging - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 overheating and pinging

Help! i just had the motor rebuilt. the rad is clear. my mechanic is trying to tweat the timing. the transmission is 2 speed. while idling and driving up to 60mph, it runs great and heats up to say 210degrees F.
after 60, if i try to push it harder, i get the bag of marbles sound and the temp starts climbing up to 250 F or higher. my mechanic says if i switch to electronic ignition it might help, plus it will be more reliable..?
any one have any thoughts on this issue? do you agree with him, and if so, any suggestions on what type to install?
billie bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
 
05GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Deliverance, GA
Posts: 5,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would check the timing, could be a problem with the mechanical or vacuum advance. I have the crane cams XR-1 Ignition Conversion Kit on my cars to retain the original look. It replaces the points and has an adjustable rev limiter.

Randy


05GTO is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Former Super Moderator
 
Rukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums.
Sounds like too much timing. You and your tech should check the stickied tuning thread.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f50/gto-tuni...up-tips-13052/
Rukee is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 4,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Did you check the t-stat? Is the waterpump correct for your car? Are the plates installed, and correct? What fan are you running? Do you have a fan shroud? Are the seals in place around the shroud and radiator support? Are you using the correct radiator? Are you using QUALITY hoses that won't collapse when they get hot?.......Eric



Eric Animal is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
64-67 Expert
 
geeteeohguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
What compression ration are you running? If you're running stock heads and stock type (non dished) pistons, It will ping like crazy. Electronic ignition won't help. You'll need higher octane gas, a lower compression ratio, or to back off your ignition timing quite a bit. I had the same problem with my '67 and went to lower compression heads. With my '65, I run a big cam, a stickshift, and octane booster. Hope this helps.
Jeff
geeteeohguy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie bob View Post
Help! i just had the motor rebuilt. the rad is clear. my mechanic is trying to tweat the timing. the transmission is 2 speed. while idling and driving up to 60mph, it runs great and heats up to say 210degrees F.
after 60, if i try to push it harder, i get the bag of marbles sound and the temp starts climbing up to 250 F or higher. my mechanic says if i switch to electronic ignition it might help, plus it will be more reliable..?
any one have any thoughts on this issue? do you agree with him, and if so, any suggestions on what type to install?
Alright, these responses are great. i now have some ideas to try going over with my mechanic. thanks guys, very much appreciated. i will let you know how it is turning out.
bb
billie bob is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM
 
ppurfield001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What compression ration are you running? If you're running stock heads and stock type (non dished) pistons, It will ping like crazy. Electronic ignition won't help. You'll need higher octane gas, a lower compression ratio, or to back off your ignition timing quite a bit. I had the same problem with my '67 and went to lower compression heads. With my '65, I run a big cam, a stickshift, and octane booster. Hope this helps.
Jeff

Jeff, what type of octane booster do you use and will the supplier ship to your home? Thanks, Paul.

ppurfield001 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
64-67 Expert
 
geeteeohguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Paul: I'm using something called TEL 130. It's for off road use because it's LEAD. Google TEL 130 and you may
d it. I had a case shipped to my house maybe 3 years ago. Not cheap, but it works and it IS cheaper than pistons!!! In my '67 with the 670 heads and then the 12 heads, NOTHING worked. (but I didn't try the TEL130, either). I ended up installing some #15 heads with the 87cc chambers, and it runs well and now has about 9.2:1 compression. It doesn't have the chutzpah it had with those 670's, though! Big inches and high compression ROCK!
geeteeohguy is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
 
ppurfield001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Paul: I'm using something called TEL 130. It's for off road use because it's LEAD. Google TEL 130 and you may
d it. I had a case shipped to my house maybe 3 years ago. Not cheap, but it works and it IS cheaper than pistons!!! In my '67 with the 670 heads and then the 12 heads, NOTHING worked. (but I didn't try the TEL130, either). I ended up installing some #15 heads with the 87cc chambers, and it runs well and now has about 9.2:1 compression. It doesn't have the chutzpah it had with those 670's, though! Big inches and high compression ROCK!
Thanks, I'll give your stuff a try to see if I can keep the 670s. Yesterday I saw an octane booster in a Connecticut auto parts store and the label stated that it was not "legal for street use" and was not permitted to be used in California. I almost bought the stuff based on those two "recommendations."

ppurfield001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible causes for GTOs overheating 70455goat 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion 115 05-15-2019 11:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome