66 overheating and pinging - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 overheating and pinging

Help! i just had the motor rebuilt. the rad is clear. my mechanic is trying to tweat the timing. the transmission is 2 speed. while idling and driving up to 60mph, it runs great and heats up to say 210degrees F.
after 60, if i try to push it harder, i get the bag of marbles sound and the temp starts climbing up to 250 F or higher. my mechanic says if i switch to electronic ignition it might help, plus it will be more reliable..?
any one have any thoughts on this issue? do you agree with him, and if so, any suggestions on what type to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would check the timing, could be a problem with the mechanical or vacuum advance. I have the crane cams XR-1 Ignition Conversion Kit on my cars to retain the original look. It replaces the points and has an adjustable rev limiter.

Randy

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums.
Sounds like too much timing. You and your tech should check the stickied tuning thread.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f50/gto-tuni...up-tips-13052/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Did you check the t-stat? Is the waterpump correct for your car? Are the plates installed, and correct? What fan are you running? Do you have a fan shroud? Are the seals in place around the shroud and radiator support? Are you using the correct radiator? Are you using QUALITY hoses that won't collapse when they get hot?.......Eric

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
What compression ration are you running? If you're running stock heads and stock type (non dished) pistons, It will ping like crazy. Electronic ignition won't help. You'll need higher octane gas, a lower compression ratio, or to back off your ignition timing quite a bit. I had the same problem with my '67 and went to lower compression heads. With my '65, I run a big cam, a stickshift, and octane booster. Hope this helps.
Jeff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie bob View Post
Help! i just had the motor rebuilt. the rad is clear. my mechanic is trying to tweat the timing. the transmission is 2 speed. while idling and driving up to 60mph, it runs great and heats up to say 210degrees F.
after 60, if i try to push it harder, i get the bag of marbles sound and the temp starts climbing up to 250 F or higher. my mechanic says if i switch to electronic ignition it might help, plus it will be more reliable..?
any one have any thoughts on this issue? do you agree with him, and if so, any suggestions on what type to install?
Alright, these responses are great. i now have some ideas to try going over with my mechanic. thanks guys, very much appreciated. i will let you know how it is turning out.
bb
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What compression ration are you running? If you're running stock heads and stock type (non dished) pistons, It will ping like crazy. Electronic ignition won't help. You'll need higher octane gas, a lower compression ratio, or to back off your ignition timing quite a bit. I had the same problem with my '67 and went to lower compression heads. With my '65, I run a big cam, a stickshift, and octane booster. Hope this helps.
Jeff

Jeff, what type of octane booster do you use and will the supplier ship to your home? Thanks, Paul.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Paul: I'm using something called TEL 130. It's for off road use because it's LEAD. Google TEL 130 and you may
d it. I had a case shipped to my house maybe 3 years ago. Not cheap, but it works and it IS cheaper than pistons!!! In my '67 with the 670 heads and then the 12 heads, NOTHING worked. (but I didn't try the TEL130, either). I ended up installing some #15 heads with the 87cc chambers, and it runs well and now has about 9.2:1 compression. It doesn't have the chutzpah it had with those 670's, though! Big inches and high compression ROCK!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Paul: I'm using something called TEL 130. It's for off road use because it's LEAD. Google TEL 130 and you may
d it. I had a case shipped to my house maybe 3 years ago. Not cheap, but it works and it IS cheaper than pistons!!! In my '67 with the 670 heads and then the 12 heads, NOTHING worked. (but I didn't try the TEL130, either). I ended up installing some #15 heads with the 87cc chambers, and it runs well and now has about 9.2:1 compression. It doesn't have the chutzpah it had with those 670's, though! Big inches and high compression ROCK!
Thanks, I'll give your stuff a try to see if I can keep the 670s. Yesterday I saw an octane booster in a Connecticut auto parts store and the label stated that it was not "legal for street use" and was not permitted to be used in California. I almost bought the stuff based on those two "recommendations."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in