67 GTO Audio Components - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 GTO Audio Components

First time post but I have been wondering around on the forum since purchasing my dads old 67 GTO back in August for his bday. I'm wondering what experiences and products people have used/had with radios/speakers/amps etc. I plan on getting a retro style radio (USA-630) with some power but am really unsure what to do beyond that. I have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to radio components but I have never put a system in anything that had 600hp under the hood competing with it. Any information is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Garage
Welcome. Does it still have the original radio? If so, you can have new internals installed as well. You can add the amp and all the speakers you want. Regards, Matt

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
If I had 600HP under the hood, I would NEVER listen to the radio!!! The exhaust and intake sounds would be sweet enough for me!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 PM

I decided to leave my factory AM radio in the dash, and bought a custom glove box radio mount on ebay for about $50. I will mount a standard DIN stereo in the box, and use an Alpine RF remote to control it.

I am mounting 2- 4" speakers in the front factory dash location. I have not purchased the "rear" speakers yet, but plan to buy the box speakers that fit under front seats from AMES or another supplier.

Hopefully the end result will be a reasonably decent sounding system with modern controls, yet completely hidden to keep the interior looking factory fresh!

Component Costs were:
--Alpine Stereo = $170
--RF Remote = $100
--Kenwood Front Speakers = $35
--Under seat speakers = $150
--Glove box mount = $50
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I did something similar to my car mounting everything in the glovebox (including a 12 disc cd changer lol if that tells you how long ago I did it) and I haven't turned it on in years. Now that you mention it I might just take all that junk out and save a few pounds and get my glove box back .

Seriously though, I would definitely consider leaving the factory radio alone and remotely mounting a receiver if you have to have tunes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM

And that is exactly where i first got the idea doubt i will use it much, but might be nice for an occasional road trip

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

We are doing many modern updates the car rather than attempting to keep it original. New gauges from Dakota Digital, custom interior, all new suspension, racing engine, custom wheels, custom interior etc. I like the old school style radio with new guts so I can control an iPod from the glove compartment. I was wondering if I should run an amp back to some components or something in the rear. I have considered the under seat boxes and will be putting something in the dash but have decided not to do anything in the kick panels.

My Dad bought this in '71 when he cam home from Vietnam and then ended up selling it to my uncle years later. He then sold it to my other uncle who let it sit outside for my entire life pretty much. (I'm 29) Its cool that it has always been in the family but all I have ever heard my dad say about it is that selling it was the biggest mistake of his life. After a few years of nagging my uncle he agreed to part ways with it and I gave it to my dad for his birthday in 2012. We are hoping on a completion date of June '13.

Thanks for all your input and I'm excited to finally join the Goat Community!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
yeah we all have ones we wish we would have kept, mine was my first car at 16, a 69' firebird. One of these days, cool he could get that car back. I did the glove box double din mount with receiver and EQ, dual amps in back, front speakers in the vents behind the kick panels and a custom speaker box with dual 6x9's and a 10" sub that mounts up under the package tray from the trunk and is hidden from sight. All controlled from IR remote or I-phone. Really never use the radio anymore, just plug in the phone and go.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Garage
If you decide to go with keeping your original AM radio box and having a new internal component installed, I recommend you contact John Cavanaugh [email protected]

He does good work. The end product is your old box and face with AM, FM, and Aux Port. Regards, Matt

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone seen the Retrosounds Model Two Radios?

RetroSoundUSA.com - Classic Style Radio Systems

Pretty cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in