User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
'67 GTO Firewall color

I have the engine out of my GTO and there are sections of the firewall that are silverglaze then it was painted black and then someone took thinned out black and ran a brush down it at the top and just let it run down onto the tranny and there is a row of cow tits at the bottom.
The thing is a total mess.
Does anyone know how this was done from the factory?
Did they paint it black over the silverglaze or was it originally coated with black from the factory?
I want to restore it to original but I don't know what original is.
Down at the bottom where the body meets the frame it is silverglaze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The entire firewall should be 60% gloss black.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
And yes, it is painted over the body color, so your seeing silverglaze underneath the paint is appropriate. Eric, great to have you back!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
The entire firewall should be 60% gloss black.
Thanks, I was told the firewall was the same color as the car but I couldn't find any pics to support this.
I am going to prime and shoot the lower in silverglaze then shoot the black down to where the original factory line is.
I am waiting on the frame paint it looks like the fenderwells are shinier than the frame and the heater housing looks like it was gloss black.
Somebody just slopped flat black paint all over the engine bay over the dirt and oil with a brush and the cow tits are hanging everywhere.
One big mess making it hard to tell what was original.

Eric
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
in the '64-'74 collector's guide, they show a '65 assembly line photo of a convertible having the fenders mounted. the footnote says "note the overspray on the upper corner of the firewall".
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM
64-67 Expert

When I pressure washed the engine bay of my '67 in 2011, some of the original black paint on the firewall came off, up by the data plate. Underneath was pristine Signet Gold, applied when the car was built. Mine has never been apart or restored. So, at least with my Baltimore built '67, the entire firewall was painted body color before the firewall was painted semi gloss black. I simply touched up the small areas where the paint came off and called it done...that way, it's still as original as possible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
When I pressure washed the engine bay of my '67 in 2011, some of the original black paint on the firewall came off, up by the data plate. Underneath was pristine Signet Gold, applied when the car was built. Mine has never been apart or restored. So, at least with my Baltimore built '67, the entire firewall was painted body color before the firewall was painted semi gloss black. I simply touched up the small areas where the paint came off and called it done...that way, it's still as original as possible.
wow, how did you obtain your '67 that was born clear across the other side of the country?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Mine also had some places the black came off in the same area that was covered over with the thinner/black wash, that area needs to be feathered before paint.
The silverglaze showed up today, isn't even close but it is a near perfect match for the argent color on the rims so I can use it.
Steering column and box are out, new firewall gasket, cowl to hood gasket, rag joint and bushing for that, firewall paint and it will be ready for the rebuilt engine and engine wiring harness.
It will be all done except for the rear end, it is a pegleg and will need an Eaton posi with this fresh engine.
I will post some pics when it is done.
Thanks for the info guys.

"wow, how did you obtain your '67 that was born clear across the other side of the country?"

Back in the '70's people flocked to Ca. from all points east for the aerospace and other jobs and they brought their cars with them.

Mine was built in Fremont Ca. 1st week of April '67 and was purchased May 5Th from Mission Pontiac in San Berdoo and has been here ever since.
Here is a pic of the restored plate frame, I managed to find one still looking for one more.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
64-67 Expert

rickm, the plant information is on the trim tag of the vehicle. My '67 says "BAL" for Baltimore. I bought the car in 1983, and it had Tennessee plates on it, and had been there the previous 16 years. The owner drove it to Cali where I snapped it up after a 3 year search for a decent '64-'67 ragtop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in