User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'67 GTO Gift...

Hey Everyone,
Glad to have just joined the board. I just purchased a '67 GTO that I'm finishing to surprise my dad with as a gift. He bought a new one back in '67 and lost it because he enlisted in the armed forces during Vietnam and couldn't afford it... He has been so good to so many people (including me) and seems like he's gotten screwed over and over. I planned this for years and I'm very excited to get this to him in the next few months.
I picked up a solid 67 with fresh paint, needs interior, supposedly has fresh engine (389 built) and trans. I plan on buying a salvaged '04-'06 to take interior, engine, trans, rearend, wheels/tires, etc. to put in the '67. I will need a few trim pieces, etc. and would appreciate any advice on websites, etc. to find deals. I know about yearone.
Thanks! Pics to come..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Also Aimes, OPG, Inline tube for anything brake related. Those GTO seats will need fabricated tracks and wiring if electric to make them work check CrustySacks thread in the archives. The back seats will need fab work to make them fit and look good. Engine/Trans/Rearend will be major undertaking. If its freshly painted and has a good engine in it, why not do the interior back to spec like your dads was when he bought it.
Used seat cores 200-400
new foams and covers 500
door panels 250
carpet 200
headliner and package tray 200

the look on your dads face when you give it to him.....PRICELESS!

its great what your doing, if you go the resto mod route he may not get to drive it for over a year....stock interior is a weekend project. Wheres my manors....welcome to the Herd... lots of great advice and knowledgeable people around here jump in and have fun.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
What a caring and terrific thing to do! Welcome to the forum, and please when you "spring it on him", tell him there are lots of folks out here who appreciate his service.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
.....and if you want to save a lot of time and fabrication buy a full interior from one of the LEGENDARY INTERIOR dealers...it will look factory new!

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I thought about keeping it as is mechanically and doing the interior stock but, I want to make it a touring/cruiser so he can drive it on long trips if he chooses. I'm gonna try to video it when I give it to him. Will put on youtube... I can fabricate/weld very good and one of my good friends is a good mechanic, we're gonna try to tackle it in 3 months or less.
Thanks Again, will keep yall updated.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatcheese View Post
Thanks guys! I thought about keeping it as is mechanically .....
That's my vote... or if it's the orginal engine (which would be a 400, not a 389 in 67), perhaps "save" that one and at least build a real Pontiac for it instead of one of those LSheviy's --- or stroke the 400 into a 461 that'll make enough torque/power to paste a BIG ol' grin on his face.(that's what I did with my numbers-matching 400 in my 69). Depending on your budget, if it's an automatic then you could consider putting in a Gear Vendors Overdrive --- best of both worlds: neck-snapping torque AND highway cruise-ability.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Goatcheese, you're doing a noble thing, and I shake your hand for it. Excellent. FYI, I've driven GTO's for all of my adult life, and have put 100's of thousands of miles on them. They are reliable, comfortable cars in stock form. I have driven my '67 convertible cross country, to Yellowstone Nat'l park, to the Grand Canyon, etc, several times. I've put 120,000 miles on this car since I bought it back in '83. Currently, it's running its original 400 engine with later vintage lower compression heads, so it runs fine on low octane pump gas, and it has a freeway friendly 2.56 rear gear that lets it run 75mph at 2450 rpm and get over 20mpg at that speed. I'm just saying that an original or mostly original car is much easier to "build", and they really perform well. A simple conversion to lower compression, a disc brake upgrade to the front brakes, and a couple of sway bars, and you basically have a car that drives like a '90's Impala SS, but with way more power and better handling...I won't even mention looks!!!
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 PM

i admire what you are doing for your dad, but i agree with geeteeohguy. long car trips werent invented in 2004. good luck however you do it. pics are a must!

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Garage
Hey Jeff, Who told you you were an adult????????

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Garage
Good crusin' is all in the final gear ratio/cam setup....is it an automatic or stick??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in