67 GTO headlight switch operation - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 GTO headlight switch operation

Two questions on the headlight switch operation on a 1967 GTO: On a GTO, do the parking lights in the grilles stay on when you pull the switch all the way out to turn on the headlights, or do they go out? That brings me to my next question: is the headlight switch for a Lemans/Tempest and a GTO the same?

I seem to remember from years back that the parking lights in a 66 or 67 GTO stayed on even when the headlights were on, whereas with a Lemans/Tempest the parking lights go out when the headlights come on. Just wondering if there is a different switch for the GTO. I have GTO grilles mounted in my Lemans, and the parking lights go out when you turn on the headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Now I'm not 100% sure on the 66-67 GTOs, but I own a 69, and the parking lights stay on. And since the switch is the same from 64-72, I would assume the 66-67 stays on too. That is unless the wiring is different. But I think the wiring would be the same, because Pontiac liked to use the same parts on different cars if they could. On that note, I would guess that the switches are the same and interchangeable. I'll try to dig up my restoration book to be sure.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just tried this on my '67. When I pulled the light switch all the way out, my parking lights were not on.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, guys. Again, I'm drawing from memories pushing 30 years ago, when two of my buddies both had '66 goats and I had a '66 Lemans with a tough 455 and we used to cruise the Motor City. We had this thing where it was a big source of pride and you could boast among your friends of your automotive knowledge when you could correctly identify the cars behind you at night based on the headlight pattern and spacing, parking light arrangement, etc. Anyone else ever play that game? I dare you to try it with the cookie-cutter cars on the road today. "hey man, is that a Hundai or a Kia coming up behind you?" Anyhow, I remember us arguing one night about whether it was a GTO or a Lemans coming up behind us, and the point was argued that the GTO parking lights stayed on even when the headlights were on. It's not a big deal, it's just one of those things I've wondered about since I picked up my '67 Lemans and recently put the GTO grilles in. I've seen a number of GTO's at car shows and cruise-ins, but I just never think to ask the owners about the parking light operation.

Last edited by kegbelly; 09-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in