67 GTO Value - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 GTO Value

I have been drooling over GTO's for over 30 years and may have just found THE ONE. I feel that my desire for this vehicle may overcome the common sense of what the value of this condition of GTO may be. Especially with the seller looking to me to put a price on it. I want to be fair, so I will risk opening a can of worms to see what some general consensus might be.

It is a 67 GTO white with black vinyl top and interior. No motor but has original trans, body is reasonable solid with some rust through on rear quarters, frame and floor pan appear to be reasonably solid, interior needs replacement with missing console and a couple trim pieces. Paint is bad with some cracking, flaking and surface rust throughout. Been sitting in dirt floor shed with no door for a few years in Minnesota, not moved in the last two. Chrome needs to be redone, same with electrical. All in all it appears to be 98% complete excluding the motor in need of a complete restoration.

I leave it to you, what do you folks think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Garage
I'd give him $1500, cause you are looking at a serious restoration that could run you $20-30K. Matt

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Honestly? If you can't get it CHEAP, I'd be inclined to find a better car. They are out there.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 PM

Tell him not having the engine really hurts the value. Still sounds like it as around $2000.00 worth of parts, if he wanted to part it out. But that's allot of work for him. It will take you 15 to 20 grand to turn it in to a nice GTO again and that's with you doing allot of the work yourself. Good Luck!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
If you are truly looking for a project to consume your time and bank account i would offer 1500. If you want a GTO to drive within the next few years take the 20-30K and buy one someone else sank a ton of money into a few years ago. You can buy them cheaper than build right now, so you gotta be committed to getting into a project like that or it will never get done.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unless it is a highly optioned car, I would move on. $1000 - 1500 sounds about right, but as stated unless you are committed to doing a restoration you are better off spending $25-$30k for one that you can drive and enjoy now. Restorations take time and thats what works against most people and then they end up with a project they try to sell (usually for a loss of what you have in the restoration).

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Around my neck of the woods, that car would probably be listed for $2,500 - $3,500. But, I would not think anything around $1,800 - $2,000 would be unreasonable so long as the frame is solid.

Everyone is correct in that it will take $ to restore it, and depends on your skills and how much you can do or will have to farm out. BUT, there are other options that could bring the cost down. You can "personalize" the car. Search the internet for assorted photos and ideas. Resto-mod just about covers it all. Pick a "theme" and transform the car into something unique. I always like the gasser look which could be easily done and period appropriate for the year. Many aftermarket pieces. Heck, you could get it roadable and do little but clean it up as is and drive it as an original "barn find" survivor or tell people it was your "high school car" and you still have it after all these years. You don't have to restore it.

If you go with a Pontiac engine, the 400CI w/stroker kit is probably a best bet on the short block, but then you have choices on the heads/intake/carb/exhaust and you have to be honest with yourself - not inexpensive. The Pontiac 350CI is no slouch either. I have a couple 500CI Caddy engines and considered this for my '68 Lemans build, but dollar for dollar, it was going to cost about the same as the Pontiac 455CI I am building. If I ever need to install another engine, I think I will put Chevelle mounts in the frame and go inexpensive Chevy -sorry to say. Much cheaper for budget minded folk. And this was done more than you think because small blocks were so common and always cheap.

Nowadays, I feel one chooses the body type/style you like and then builds around it. Going down the road, no one knows if it has a 400CI, a small block chevy, caddy engine, or even a V-6. Going original or restoring is almost not worth the time and money when you have to wait and invest in it little by little when you can purchase a nice car that all you have to do is purchase and drive away with it. Then you have to consider who will be working on the car. If you can do the tune-ups, replace those parts that will wear out, then you are ahead of the game. If you have to pay some one else, you may get those big bills I always seem to get handed every time my "modern" car goes into the shop. Trying to find a qualified mechanic who can understand and can actually work on the "older" stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

Bottom line is, enjoy the mid-life crisis, treat yourself to a "dream" even if it sits in the driveway for a while - it still turns heads. Then decide what you want to do with it. Above all, have fun, and remember GTO = Gas, Tire, & Oil - so burn 'em up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in