LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
68-71 Dash Gauge Cluster - no lights

Do have a couple rookie questions you might be able to point me to:

Situation: Upon replacement of equipment, dash lights on Speedo and Fuel area are not functioning when lights are on. All exterior and other interior lights working (including tach)

Background:
Removed dash to replace front. Got dash back in and wondered if Iíd chosen an incorrect bulb, so bought 194 old style, tried and still no luck. Wanted to go with LED option and am aware you have to insert correctly (or turn 180 degrees til it works) however, if the old style want light up, then I have different issue.

All grounding was put back as originally laid out. Have Gen Light/Turn Signal lights / and functional response for Oil Pressure and Temp.

An old post (2 plus years ago) mentioned they are done in a Daisy 8. Could it be that just one of the bulbs is not seated enough and making a connection and that would toss out the other bulbs? - Seems odd because i have both turn signals, Generator Light (and assuming high beam indicator (havenít checked).

Will stop here...and see what you think or propose, really not wanting to take it out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I realize that I am stating the obvious, however Iím going to go ahead: check the fuse for your dash lights.
I recently replaced my dash light bulbs using the Sylvania Bright Whites and they now seem to pop the fuse, but only if I get the revs up in low gear, like a hard launch where I bring the rpmís up over 4000
If Iím just driving around easy peasy, or getting on it 1/2 way but not to the floor, the fuse does not pop.
It appears that as the alternator spins past a certain speed it throws of more juice. Does that sound possible?

Anyhow that seems to be what Iím faced with at the moment. Also, I am using a 7.5A fuse in the dash lights location - I may go up to a 10A but Iím a little concerned about burning up the printed circuit on the back of the gauge cluster, or overheating the stock wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today is the only day that truly matters; Here's hoping that your's is beautiful.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Donít believe its the..

SoberJoe- thank you for the quick reply. I just came in from garage but will double check the fuse. Iím presuming it isnít blown but worth a second look. Did notice that some of the clips on my fuse box seem to have a bit of surface rust. Will clean those connections.

As for the rev increasing with RPMís unsure how to answer but do know that I have a 30amp inline fuse just outside of the Alternator before it goes through to the dash. Might be worth considering on yours.

Lastly, if the fuse is out, wouldnít all the dash lights go out?

Iím wondering if the pirimary clip that hooks in back of cluster isnít contacting 1 string which is the lights that are to come on when exterior light switch (and dimmer) are active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in