User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 Gto

Hi there everyone.
I am thinking about buying a 1968 restored GTO. The car looks great and has a rebuilt 71 engine in it. Needs some minor things mostly cosmetic. Anybody out there have any warnings for me?
Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Check for rust behind the front wheels in the fender. Check for rust in the doors. Check for rust under the rear window. Realize that the car is not numbers matching, so figure that into the asking price.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Tom

I could go on for hours with you as to the collectibility of the old cars, what affects value, how much it affects value etc.

After I am done, someone else will spend hours with you and give you completely different information.

The car you are looking at is not going to be a "collectible" car because the motor is the wrong year. I have a 68 Firebird Convertible that I owned for the last 28 years. The motor is a 68 350 2bbl. The car left the factory with a 68 350 2bbl. How does that affect value?

There are too many factors to consider. What you are looking at is probably a nice number 3 car. Not a 1 because of the motor, not a 2 because there are probably a few chips here and there, and the excellent interior is probably not perfect.

The prices of late 60s muscle and pony "drivers" has doubled in the last 7 years. I have my 68 up for sale because I don't use it, and want to DE my Porsche. there isnt enough time to finish a restoration, DE, and play with the baby.

The bottom front of the doors is a rust spot, the bottom of the rear quarter is a rust spot, the floorpans are rust spots. corners of windows, and the list goes on. how is the endura front bumper? which transmission?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. As for rust the floors and quarters were replaced during the restoation. It has a 4 speed manual tranny and a 400 4 bbl a Holly 650 I think. Body looks very straight I can get it for around 15K. Thanks Agian for the help
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Make sure it is a real GTO. First check the Vehicle Ident Number on the cowl under the hood. It should start off 242 to be a GTO. Then run the VIN through PHS. http://www.phs-online.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in