User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 gto

Hey everybody,
I have a question that im hoping somebody will answer for me. I am Restoring a 1968 Pontiac GTO 400 HO 4 speed numbers matching car. The one thing im wondering is there anyway I can find out or can anyone on here tell me how many GTO's in 68 came with the 400 HO, a 4 speed, and in Flambeau burgandy? Im trying to decide if I want to paint it the original color or go with Starlight Black. To me it all depends how rare the color is with that engine and tranny setup. If somebody could help that would be great!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, check out this link it's a twin to your car only a vert and it will show you exactly what your in for.
https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/68-gto-h...oration-35528/
I would paint it back original especially if its a numbers matching HO. Even a color change to black could effect the value in a negative way and Flambeau is a great color on these cars. And to answer your question, i don't believe there is a resource that breaks down the production numbers by color.

68 cp/sed 400 HO m/t = 6197
68 cp/sed 400 HO a/t = 3140
68 conv. 400 HO m/t = 766
68 conv. 400 HO a/t = 461

Last edited by Instg8ter; 12-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, its going to be a tough decision on whether im going to paint it the original color or Starlight Black I love black cars but I like the Flambeau Burgandy also....I guess I have a few months to decide!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Flambeau's car is gorgeous and I can't see you going wrong with that.

However --- when I myself was in a good and proper tizzy trying to decide what color to paint my 69, my sweet bride came to my rescue with this question:

"Honey? who are you building this car for.. are you ever going to sell it?"

In MY case, the answer was a resounding NO - I'll never willingly sell this car. So she followed up with this question:

"Then what do you care about what someone else thinks or how it might affect resale value? Do what makes you happy."

So simple, so obvious, and so impossible for me to see at the time.

To whatever extent that might apply to you, perhaps it will help with your decision.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Flambeau's car is gorgeous and I can't see you going wrong with that.

However --- when I myself was in a good and proper tizzy trying to decide what color to paint my 69, my sweet bride came to my rescue with this question:

"Honey? who are you building this car for.. are you ever going to sell it?"

In MY case, the answer was a resounding NO - I'll never willingly sell this car. So she followed up with this question:

"Then what do you care about what someone else thinks or how it might affect resale value? Do what makes you happy."

So simple, so obvious, and so impossible for me to see at the time.

To whatever extent that might apply to you, perhaps it will help with your decision.

Bear
Thanks for the response. I can barely see myself ever selling the car, the only way I could see myself doing so is if I found some other car that I really wanted (I doubt ill ever be able to afford more than 1). Flambeau is a gorgeous color, so maybe ill make a safe choice and go with that. I wonder how rare of a color it is with the motor and tranny combo I have though. I still have not saw one on Ebay for sale like mine in the last year, but who knows I could have missed it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTO_MAN View Post
Thanks for the response. I can barely see myself ever selling the car, the only way I could see myself doing so is if I found some other car that I really wanted (I doubt ill ever be able to afford more than 1). Flambeau is a gorgeous color, so maybe ill make a safe choice and go with that. I wonder how rare of a color it is with the motor and tranny combo I have though. I still have not saw one on Ebay for sale like mine in the last year, but who knows I could have missed it.
the color is rare not as rare as for it being on a firebird but it is rare. and a nice color me my self I would put it back Original... Do what I did when I Painted my 47 coupe put the color you want Flambeau and as many Black and pick out of a hat lol...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to post pics of my car? I would like to share a couple!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in