'68 Hood adjustment?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'68 Hood adjustment??

Hello All!! I have been veiwing this forum for about a month while I was researching info on GTO's. The wife and I were looking for a GM A body car and thought we would be getting a Chevelle..... That is until we found this beauitiful '68! We bought it from the second owner who did a frame off 20+ years ago when he was turning 50, well, now he is 70 and didn't drive it much and wanted to find it a good home. We picked it up 2 weeks ago and I have been doing a bunch a little stuff like tires, choke, etc.

So here's my question... The back of the hood sticks up about 1/2 an inch on both sides. The wife and I tried to adjest it today and may have made it worse! We have both rear hinges lowered all the way and it still sticks up?? The rest of the car is perfectly straingt too. I have heard these hoods are a real pain and I may just want to buy a new set of hinges and try again. You can kind of see the hood in the pictures, any advise? Thanks Y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233_2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	32378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241_2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	32386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242_2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	32394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243_2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	32402   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_14.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	32410  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, you won't be disappointed with the GTO over the chevelle. I know it sounds counter productive but try putting some body shims under the front hood bolt of both hinges (between hinge and hood) to lift the nose of the hood which will lower the rear, they are a pain to get just right but you should see it start to come down.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
I know it sounds counter productive but try putting some body shims under the front hood bolt of both hinges (between hinge and hood) to lift the nose of the hood which will lower the rear, they are a pain to get just right but you should see it start to come down.
Huh.. Ill give it a try. I know I went to public school, but I cant figure out why this thing is fighting me so bad!!

Thanks so much for the advise.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 PM

I have the same problem with my 68 hood. The body guy I took my car to tried for a couple hours to get the hood to fit right. He finally concluded the hinges will not close far enough and suspected the hinges were poor after market parts. I am getting ready to order new hinges from Ames as soon as I get my carb back from Cliff Ruggles. I will post a review when I get it all done.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 PM

Garage
Loosen the back bolts, and while pushing up on the hood, tighten them back down. If the hood is still sticking up, push down on it. If it goes down, you have bad hinges. If it does not move, you have something preventing it from going down. Examples... you might have a new cowl seal, or you might have one of the 68s that has a hood bumper mounted on the cowl. Matt

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Loosen the back bolts, and while pushing up on the hood, tighten them back down. If the hood is still sticking up, push down on it. If it goes down, you have bad hinges. If it does not move, you have something preventing it from going down. Examples... you might have a new cowl seal, or you might have one of the 68s that has a hood bumper mounted on the cowl. Matt

Thanks. I just tried this and when I pushed on the back it went down a little. Think (hope) it's hinges.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Before you replace the hinges try taking out the rubber seal on the cowl and the wedge shaped rubbers on the fenders and see how it closes then.
We replaced both the hood hinges with oe parts on my sons 68. Hood fit like a glove until we installed a new w/strip on the cowl

A good way to tell if it's the hinges is to remove the hood from the car.
If you have any sloop from side to side at the pivot points in the hinge, you have bad bushings.

You said when you pushed it down it only moved a little ?
If the hinges are wore you should be able to push it down a good 1/2''.
Sounds like something else is holding up the hood or the hinges are poor quality repops.

Bill
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
What Matt said. Loosen the rear hinge bolts, and the front ones just back off a hair. Have a helper push the hood open all the way with quite a bit of force while you tighten the bolts. This is the factory procedure. After 20+ years of having my '65 hood raised at the cowl, I had a friend hold the hood wide open and did this operation and fixed the problem. Took 5 minutes.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. I tried both methods and it didn't get any better. Seems the hinges have quite a bit of side to side slop. Who knows, the last owner may have replaced them with cheep repos 20+ years ago. Think I'll pop on some Ames hinges and see if it gets better. At least then I'll know that it isn't the hinges if it's still not even. The hood seems to be the only body problem, everything else fits like a glove. Doors, trunk, windows all fit perfect.

Thanks again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If the procedure that the guys have given you didn't work, there is a good chance that you have aftermarket hinges on your car. If so, this is a known issue with them. If you try to buy new hinges, you'll most likely have the same problem, unless you find OE parts. You can try to elongate the holes in the hinges (where they mount to the inner fender) to give you more adjustment. I was able to do this on the '72 Chevy C10 that I just restored.

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in