User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 Lemans Surging Problems

Afternoon guys, my first post!

Purchased a 68 Lemans, 1 owner 78,000 miles for roughly 4k. Really good condition, in the process of slowly restoring it but I have had this recurring problem that I just can't figure out...surging.

Vehicle starts up fine, and idles just fine. Once the car warms up and I put the vehicle into drive, it surges like it wants to move forward when I have the brakes fully engaged. Car literally tries to jerk forward. It actually worsens as time goes by. Keep in mind that the vehicle does not surge when I just start the car and shift to drive (only after about 2-3 minutes once the car warms up). The shifting between gears is a little rough (Car just moves once I shift but not physically hard).

All the fluids are fine, I have checked for vaccum leaks and I can't seem to find the issue.

What do you think that is causing the issue? Torque Converter? Bad Coil? Motor Mounts?
Any tips?

Thanks in advance. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the resto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
To begin with, could be a number of things. What have you replaced or rebuilt on the fuel system?

Fuel filter, choke adjustment, Carb rebuild, fuel pump, all rubber lines replaced, sock at the end of the pick-up tube in the tank replaced, kinked lines, fresh gas, gas tank cap correct??????

78,000 original miles - have you changed out the timing chain & gears? If original, you still have a nylon gear which has probably deteriorated and no doubt the chain is worn out. Sloppy gears/chain = timing that bounces all over and can cause surging.

New tune-up? Point gap set correctly? Dwell set correctly?

What is your idle RPM in gear? What is your initial timing set at? What is your total timing set at? What RPM does total timing come in at? Are the weights in the distributor working? Have you checked to make sure the vacuum advance is operating? Vacuum leak?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!

I did notice a kinked fuel line to the carb, going to replace that and work through process of elimination till I find the culprit.
Idle RPM probably at about 1900? I am guessing as I dont have a tach on the vehicle.

I will keep you guys posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in