LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
formerly NJGoat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
69 Firebird and 69 GTO

How similiar are were the 69 Firebirds and the 69 GTO's? Just curious. In the next couple years I would like to purchase an older GTO to keep my current on some company. Plus, it would stop me from spending more money on something(06 Goat) trying to make it faster than it really needs to be. I think having a 1970 GTO would be cool since it was the year I was born. Thanks for any help or places to look for a older GTO that runs and wont need major body work.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the 68 Firebirds but the 69's are just ugly. I'd definitely go with the GTO based on looks alone.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Similar in what way? The Firebird was a pony car. Smaller, lighter, useless back seat, equally small trunk. The GTO was a muscle car, a mid-sized sedan with a big V8 shoved under the hood. Larger, heavier, usable back seat, nice trunk space.

The Firebird later became associated with mullets and trailer parks. For that reason alone I'd opt for the GTO. And then of course, there's the whole history thing. The GTO started the whole muscle car era.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I`d love to find a `68-`70 GTO project car.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
How similiar are were the 69 Firebirds and the 69 GTO's? Just curious. In the next couple years I would like to purchase an older GTO to keep my current on some company. Plus, it would stop me from spending more money on something(06 Goat) trying to make it faster than it really needs to be. I think having a 1970 GTO would be cool since it was the year I was born. Thanks for any help or places to look for a older GTO that runs and wont need major body work.

Can you guess why?????

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 PM

The GTO is a better-driving nicer-riding car, on a more substantial platform, with more room and comfort, and arguably better looks.... Seems like a no-brainer to me. You're talking two distinct platforms here, A-body vs. F-body. The A-bods had coils at all four corners, the F-bods had leaf springs in the rear. The difference is huge.

If you plan to drive and enjoy, get the Goat....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Thank you all.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM

70 Gto Definitely!

Hi!
I'd recommend going for the GTO. I just purchased my 67 (year I was born), and I love it! I found it on Collector Car Trader :: Buy and Sell Antique Cars, Classic Cars, Muscle Cars. It was a lucky find, and they do come around once in a while. Ebay has some going for some good prices right now and if you don't mind some work, try Bring a Trailer for more listings. I also found many GTOs on I think it was lemonfree.com. Good luck!
Linda
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Thanks again. Yea, I wanna go with the GTO due to having a new one. I am afraid that if I start looking too soon, I'll find one that I cant let go and must have. Im gonna try to build a seperate garage in the back property of my house first. So I have a place to put her and work on her. I dont mind doing some minor fix up things, but any major work would have to be done by someone else, ex. body/paint Internal engine/tranny/rear. I would like to find something running with good paint, but something I can still fiddle with. Thanks again,

Chris.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
Im gonna try to build a seperate garage in the back property of my house first. So I have a place to put her and work on her.
That`s a whole nother issue as well. No matter how big of a garage you build, you could always use more room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in