User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
69 GTO 400 Header Selection Help

Guys,

I'm shopping for headers. My most important requirement is ground clearance. I'm lowering the car by 2 or 3 inches, so I don't want to be dragging pipes...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I recommend the repop HO manifolds. They work, don't leak, and don't have clearance problems.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with Jeff, ram air is the way to go. Just pic your poison, round or d-port. Here's an example.

High Performance Automotive Componentry

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
X3.....or Doug's Headers

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMonty View Post
Guys,

I'm shopping for headers. My most important requirement is ground clearance. I'm lowering the car by 2 or 3 inches, so I don't want to be dragging pipes...

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I'm going with Doug's on my 69, but I can't speak to ground clearance issues yet since my car isn't done yet.

I've also heard some very good reports on both the fit and finish of Mad Dog Headers. Had I known about them before I bought my Doug's, I would have given them serious consideration.

I'd have to agree with the others though who've encouraged the "Ram Air" style manifolds. They give up a little in terms of performance, but they're significantly more "trouble free" than headers.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Bear,

Again, thanks for the great input. I'll check out the Mad Dog headers. If anyone else is interested, it looks like Hedman Hedders makes a "shorty" version. Which, I'd imagine has better flow than a Ram Air manifold, but not quite as good as full length headers.

I'm very interested to hear about your ground clearance, when you know what it is... or, if you look from the side, does it currently hang lower than the frame?

Thanks again,
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMonty View Post
I'm very interested to hear about your ground clearance, when you know what it is... or, if you look from the side, does it currently hang lower than the frame?
I was curious about that, so I snapped a couple photos with my phone. They do indeed hang down some, but then so too do the mufflers and the rest of the system. I might be able to pull the mufflers and everything up a little bit, but the flanges on the X-pipe dumps are already up against the floor so they're as high as they're going to get.

Bear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110520_103436.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	11176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110520_103448.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	11177  

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Bear,

I have to say, the pictures you've posted, both on the rear frame and the side view of your headers have saved me about 40 hours of work, just this morning. I really appreciate the help.

I'm surprised about the header drop, in a good way, I thought it would be a lot worse.

What exhaust are you running?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the kind words. I'm running a Pypes XGA11R, I think? I may not have the part number exactly right, but it's a header-back system, 2 1/2" stainless tube all the way to the bumper, a pair of their RacePro mufflers, and the X-change crossover that has dumps.
I'll attach some better photos of it. After I got it mostly fit the way I wanted, I dropped everything from the mufflers forward and welded the joints to make sure it doesn't leak and also to ditch the clamps so it could go a little tighter to the floor. I ordered a pair of their electric cutouts today I'm going to try to make a control bracket for the switch that looks like the one for the short-lived 70 Vacuum Operated Exhaust option and mount it on my Ram Air control bracket, like the one in the commercial.

Bear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3268.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	11178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	11179  

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM

"Shortie" headers are worthless. They're strictly for 'bragging rights". Headers are used to make horsepower. Without the longer tubes and good "collectors", they're not even AS GOOD as the factory-engineered HO manifolds. Factory "performance" cars of the '90s and '00s have "shorties", true enough. They (manufacturers) realized they were cheaper to make than really good cast iron manifolds (like HOs), and would last "long enough" to get out of warranty. They did NOT start using them for superior power.

If power is more important than looks and/or ground clearance, headers are the way to go. The Mad Dogs are a bit "tighter" to the body than the Doug's. Hooker makes the most power. "Ease of installation" is also a "non-factor". Power is power. If you want it, you gotta "do the leg work". You do what ya gotta do!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in