69 LeMans Convertible ride hight - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
69 LeMans Convertible ride hight

So we have heard this before but I can't seam to find anyone who has tried this exact combination. I am building a 69 Lemans conv. I want to put the Year One 17 x 8 rally II wheels with 4 wheel disk brakes. (right stuff detailing brake kit) Year One web site said wheels were tested with 245/45/r17 tires, but dose not say anything about ride hight. The question is do you buy the disk brake kit with a 2" drop spindle or standard? Also I was thinking about using 235/45/r17 tires. They are 1/2" narrower but near the same circumference. Dose anyone know if you will have turning clearance if you use the 2" drop but put a smaller tire on? I don't want to use different sizes front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The cast steel A/F body drop spindles do nothing but create problems. Have quite a bit of hands on with the frontends of these old A-bodys. Have personally installed over 2 dozen front disc conversions using select disc spindles. Have also removed several quickee "F-body tall spindle" disc swaps that created nothing but a nightmare. Also have had dealings two locals that pulled cheapee 2" cast dropped spindles off their recently purchased '70 A-body's. One of these locals had me supply some suspension pieces & build him a posi rear for his Malibu. The other has a Cutlass S, & I ended up getting him in some niced used disc spindles, caliper brackets, rotors, a disc master cylinder & proper combination valve.

Correct design slightly lower stiffer springs are the way to go if you are running stock geometry control arms & are a relatively inexpensive way to lower the front end. When the front coil springs are coming out, it's a great time to examine & replace control arm bushings & near 50 year old balljoints. There are a lot of relatively cheap suspension "kits" out there with really junk chinese tierods & balljoints, have to be smarter. Its either rebuild with quality parts process, or throw big stacks of $$$$ @ true quality designed & manufactured upper & lower tubular front control arms & coil overs.

The contraption design of the Chinese cast drop spindles was merely thrown out onto market to make money for the seller. The drop spindles put the tie rod ends right next to the inside of your front rims, this will effect wheel selection... Limits the backspacing of what wheel you can run. The use of drop spindles & stock springs allows full range of the suspension, as as a result, the large frame crossmember, oil pan, header collectors/head pipes are now 2" closer to the pavement & when the suspension bottoms out, so can/often will any of the above with resulting damage. Just a total contraption design, save you hard earned money!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if Year Ones claim of putting 245/45/r17 wheels in the front is accurate? I am planning on building back with the original A frames and arms. I am wandering about turning clearance. I was thinking of using 235/45/r17 just because I don't want a wheel that is so wide. Also, if I change from 14" to 17" wheels with stock suspension, am I not raising the car up? Worried it my not look right.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Stock '69-71 GTO's with 14x6" wheels with G70x14's measure out at aprox 26.75" tall tire.

About 10-12 years ago, I set a fellow up with a HD 30 spline A10 hsg 8.5 rear for his '69 GTO. The GTO's build was completed with 17" American Racing Torque Thrust wheels. I'm not sure the width, either 7" Or 8's, am betting 8's. The front tires were 245-45/17's. I'm not sure if he went bigger in the rear...been too long. Am not acquainted with the YearOne wheels, am sure one can compare back spacing with others with '68 & 69's that are running other 17x8" wheels & 245-45/17's. One thing I'd be careful about, '68-72 Abody convertibles have a large flat spot in the top of the rear wheel houses. This design was needed so the folded top frame had enough room when the top was down. When Pontiac finally introduced G60x15's on 15x7's wheels as an option on '71 GTO's, they were only available on 2 door hardtops & Coupes, not avail on convertibles due to the converts shorter rear wheel houses. G60x15's on 15x7's were a rather blocky tall tire wheel, right over 27" tall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in